New Frugel Horns: Tuning Problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Diogenio said:
OK, I'm off to get some Blu-Tack adhesive putty (I'm too lazy to try and find a source for duct seal here in San Diego).

Home depot, HVAC/electrical wholesalers....

Blu-Tack sems to be a similar material, and it does not dry out either. Maybe it is just repackaged duct seal, sold at 10X markup for the retail market...?

Blu-Tack will do the job. The 10x expensive gets my frugal-phile(tm) nature thou.

Each 126 needs ~ 70g of ductseal (or equivalent)

dave

Diogenio said:
Dave:

Taperwood...you are very patient. I'll never pull my drivers more than a dozen times! Current CC size is (I believe) 2.35 L, as shown on the plans at Planet-10. That is...if the beta kits were sent out with the same CC size, and not changed last minute. I did not measure actual CC volume.

-Dennis

Ha! Well, 100 times is probably a slight exaggeration, but it was a lot; however, it was over a period of many, many months, so it did not seem so tedious. I would tweak in phases, spending half a day trying out different configurations and then going for weeks listening to what I did and then doing it again.

As for the putty stuff, you could try painter's putty. I got it in the paint section of Home Depot. I used some last week while working. It's really cheap and did not seem to be toxic at all. I think I'll try some on my drivers.

Doug

Some of these old threads are fun to read:), as stated before i am currently using my ancient fe108ez in a BL expanding transmission line-some call these a "horn also:) about 72"path, 2.5x2.5 throat ending in 6.75x14" mouth. The insides have a diagonal panel to reduce standing waves; i am a strictly a no tech. builder; the driver chamber is on the large side for tuning smaller.

Having said that, is there a list of suitable current drivers for use in horns in the 3-5" range?

Some of these old threads are fun to read:), as stated before i am currently using my ancient fe108ez in a BL expanding transmission line-some call these a "horn also:) about 72"path, 2.5x2.5 throat ending in 6.75x14" mouth. The insides have a diagonal panel to reduce standing waves; i am a strictly a no tech. builder; the driver chamber is on the large side for tuning smaller.

Having said that, is there a list of suitable current drivers for use in horns in the 3-5" range?

this could become like one of those "15 song" threads on the music forum

"let's start with the usual suspects" : Fostex FE126E, Alpair7.3

Scott,

Am tinkering in Horn resp, grabbed akabak as well as winisd.
also made a BiB calculator based on equations in the BiB thread.

Question- does the offset horn in driver layout of hornresp get close to the BiB design?

Im calling s2 at driver height, s3 at bottom of inner baffle and s4 the mouth.
keeping the zdriver/s2 at .217*L.

Seeing some neat results, like a 50hz -3db on a 3" TB FR although it says Pmax is .5W!

No wood or tools so no sawdust.

Am i out in the weeds here?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.