New Forum Idea / Mechanical Construction Techniques

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Any thread with more than 100 posts is usually like a black hole if you search for something, since the search function dosnt tell wich post its in, just that its found in the thread.

Magura:
Spend a little more time with the searching function. You absolutely can find things in specific posts rather than just threads. In the lower left corner under "search options" click on "show results as posts." The search functionality was improved at the last big feature upgrade a year ago (or whenever that was) and really works rather well now for those willing to learn to use it. :smash:

It works well if the word you search for isnt mentioned through the entire thread, wich it frequently is.

An example: Try to find the part written about how to cut thread in aluminium. Its gonna take you so long that youre not gonna bother searching through the hits you get. And thats even a relatively specific subject on this board. Dont even think about searching for rectifier or the like.

I had not noticed the "post" option in the search function. Im quite sure it wasnt there when i began frequenting this forum. I tried to use the search function a few times, then i gave up. You usually get a ridicilous number of hits and have little chance to seperate them.

Magura:)

Try to find the part written about how to cut thread in aluminium.
No problem! How about using: thread, aluminum, tap as keywords in the top search box? You get 5 hits when you choose "show as posts." The one from the thread "useful tools & techniques" takes you right to it. About 30 seconds total. You just need to do a little thinking about what words to use in your search criteria.

vpharris said:

No problem! How about using: thread, aluminum, tap as keywords in the top search box? You get 5 hits when you choose "show as posts." The one from the thread "useful tools & techniques" takes you right to it. About 30 seconds total. You just need to do a little thinking about what words to use in your search criteria.

That is certainly a vaild position. However, if that dictum had been rigidly held to, wouldn't the Solid State forum sufficiently cover gainclones too? It appears to me that it did just that until this forum, Chip Amps, was created. I believe this forum is stronger because of this specialization than if it had remained mixed within Solid State exclusively.

That is the reason I opened this topic. I'd like to see the strongest forum possible for construction & finishing techniques to be discussed and new topics opened. You don't get that with searching alone or without cross-posting across multiple forums. I sincerely believe that once this new forum is open, it will attract users from all other forums and they will share their building experiences & open new topcs there. They can be on any audio construction aspect from speakers to amplifiers to stands. That is a tangible benefit to everyone who participates in DIYaudio.

speaker

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I think most of us mods agree with you, and this and other improvements are something we have been working to implement. However, more vital backstage issues need to be sorted before we can do anything that will be seen on the public side. But we have not forgotten! ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.