• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs

Hello All!

I'm new here and relatively new in the audio world or at least paying more attention to quality.

Katana seems that will be a a great DAC and trigger a lot of jealousy on the competition.
Kudos to the designers and to this community with your valuable input to the designers.
Can't wait to buy this product!

Something I quite didn't understand and you guys may help. Is the XLR output a true balanced output or just converted to XLR?

If I may, a topic for discussion and perhaps for a future DAC :)
I recently read that DSD signal is way more easy to convert into analogue audio signal then a PCM signal. The output stage is less complex, resulting in better sound quality.
Don't know if you agree.
Given the above, there is at least a high end audio manufacturer that I know, converts the PCM into DSD (and not the other way around) before the analogue output stage.
Any thoughts about it?

Hello All!

I'm new here and relatively new in the audio world or at least paying more attention to quality.

Katana seems that will be a a great DAC and trigger a lot of jealousy on the competition.
Kudos to the designers and to this community with your valuable input to the designers.
Can't wait to buy this product!

Something I quite didn't understand and you guys may help. Is the XLR output a true balanced output or just converted to XLR?

If I may, a topic for discussion and perhaps for a future DAC :)
I recently read that DSD signal is way more easy to convert into analogue audio signal then a PCM signal. The output stage is less complex, resulting in better sound quality.
Don't know if you agree.
Given the above, there is at least a high end audio manufacturer that I know, converts the PCM into DSD (and not the other way around) before the analogue output stage.
Any thoughts about it?

True XLR . DSD to PCM is a different story we will look into it.

True XLR . DSD to PCM is a different story we will look into it.

This is what I am referring to. The whole video is great but check 04m57s of
YouTube

Another good video on the subject of PCM to DSD conversion is:
YouTube

And the PS Audio DirectStream DAC
DirectStream DAC | PS Audio

"CD’s, downloads, high-resolution PCM or DSD based media are expertly upsampled in the DirectStream to ten times DSD rate and output as pure analog directly into your amplifier or preamplifier. Classic PCM based DACS, including many of today’s DACS that can also process DSD, tend to cover up some of the subtle musical details buried deep within digital audio music; a problem inherent in their architecture. DirectStream solves this problem by employing a pure DSD single-bit approach for both PCM as well as DSD media. This means that your entire library of music can finally reveal all the music and subtle low-level details buried deep within its core.

Could the same principle be applied in a future DAC?

This is what I am referring to. The whole video is great but check 04m57s of
YouTube
Another good video on the subject of PCM to DSD conversion is:
YouTube
And the PS Audio DirectStream DAC
DirectStream DAC | PS Audio
"CD’s, downloads, high-resolution PCM or DSD based media are expertly upsampled in the DirectStream to ten times DSD rate and output as pure analog directly into your amplifier or preamplifier. Classic PCM based DACS, including many of today’s DACS that can also process DSD, tend to cover up some of the subtle musical details buried deep within digital audio music; a problem inherent in their architecture. DirectStream solves this problem by employing a pure DSD single-bit approach for both PCM as well as DSD media. This means that your entire library of music can finally reveal all the music and subtle low-level details buried deep within its core.
Could the same principle be applied in a future DAC?

IMO, hardware conversion to DSD does not make sense in a HAT-DAC for RPi.
Much better is converting by software like Audirvana and streaming via DLNA to a DAC like Katana.

Matt

Last edited: