• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs

Yes of course that volume will be supported .

As of right now , we are trying to fit both XLR (only as pads) and RCA connectors on board.

For a DIY output will be difficult...right now the mid board is the output stage.

How do you handle digitial volume control:
- encoder
- buttons
or
analog 10k pot dividing voltage between 3.3V and GND, then your controller by sensing this divided voltage sends I2C command to DAC?

I personally prefer the last mentioned solution because it gives you analog feeling of volume control while being digital in background, moreover I always know what volume level I have when turning on the DAC.

the 9028 is running in synchronous mode with some excellent clocks on it (new NDK clocks). No ASRC. This DAC runs in master mode. I think we will be the first ones :)

The 15v , we are using a convertor , with chokes before and after (+ filters and LDOs) , with metal enclosure to stop EMI . This DC/DC convertor is placed on one of the stacks to reduce coupling the noise as much as possible. (far away from analog )

Like I said.. was very hard to design .

Will it be possible to bypass on board DC/DC and supply -/+15V externally? It is very crucial element and impacts overall final performance of the dac. I would like to use best possible regulators here.

Does your board have raw balanced outputs (skipping onbard outputstage)?
I am currently using Rpi3 + hifiberry digi+ pro -> ebay es9038 -> Legato discrete output stage from TweastedPearAudio.
Since it is DIY I would like to also try and compare different outputs stages with your dac eg.:
- upcoming mercury from TweastedPearAudio
or
- AKV32 Pure Class A from AckoLabs
or
- Super V/I converter (LL1684)
or ...
- BCF-9 tube unbalancer from glass ware
???

How do you handle digitial volume control:
- encoder
- buttons
or
analog 10k pot dividing voltage between 3.3V and GND, then your controller by sensing this divided voltage sends I2C command to DAC?

I personally prefer the last mentioned solution because it gives you analog feeling of volume control while being digital in background, moreover I always know what volume level I have when turning on the DAC.

Esssabre does the volume control by manipulating the data in 32 bit. Its the only digital volume control thats almost as good as analog.

Does your board have raw balanced outputs (skipping onbard outputstage)?
I am currently using Rpi3 + hifiberry digi+ pro -> ebay es9038 -> Legato discrete output stage from TweastedPearAudio.
Since it is DIY I would like to also try and compare different outputs stages with your dac eg.:
- upcoming mercury from TweastedPearAudio
or
- AKV32 Pure Class A from AckoLabs
or
- Super V/I converter (LL1684)
or ...
- BCF-9 tube unbalancer from glass ware
???

Sorry but we do not .

Esssabre does the volume control by manipulating the data in 32 bit. Its the only digital volume control thats almost as good as analog.

Yes I do understand that. To increase/decrease volume the I2C command will be send to es9038q2m.
My question however was how me as a user I will control that? Encoder, regular pot or volume control in Volumio?

Perhaps a regular pot as it is on this ES9038Q2M board (instead of a jumper, a pot is placed)

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 761
Last edited:
Perhaps a regular pot as it is on this ES9038Q2M board (instead of a jumper, a pot is placed)

Yeap. I got this dac. Out of the box is so so, but with improved powering and passive summing with LL1684 transformers it really sounds great!!!
In my setup It is connected to hifiberry digi+ pro directelly through I2S.

And yes you connect 10k analog pot to control digital volume. I am using this board like that and it is great! It gives you analog feeling with volume control, the pot does not have to be of high quality, just regular pot. One could also use motorized pot to control it remotely.

I hope allo comes with same solution in regard of volume control.

I hope Allo doesn't waste any effort on prehistoric external HW control options or displays or similar. :rolleyes:

These approaches are IMO just the cheap way out to get away from writing a reasonable OS driver for the (Sabre) DAC.

@cdsgames: Looking forward to your DAC and the OS driver - as is. :D

Make sure you test DSD128-DOP and SW-VC properly - I know you do.
DSD can get quite tricky!

Enjoy.

Last edited: