• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs

Hi Guys,

Am a newbie with very little electronics knowledge, so my question might sound stupid so bear with me.

I have rpi3, kali, piano2.1 and also boss dac.
My speaker system is a two way, full range for the top(set tube amp) and 2 stereo eminence alphas(solid state amp) handling the bass from 200hz and down. I tried the rpi+kali+piano2.1 in 2.2 config with crossover at 200hz. The bass just sounds amazing. However, the top frequencies sounds thinner in this config, compared to Dual-Mono(which sounds amazing albeit without the subwoofer). Gets me thinking if the Dual-mono and 2.2 config be somehow combineable, how amazing it would be.

My question is, is there somehow a possibility to add the Boss dac on top and let it handle the bass or some such config?

I didn't connect MCK.

How did you connect the GND connections at the I2S pin headers? All of them? Only one? None?

Did you connect the RPI/Kali power supply to GND?

i don´t have the kali, i have the Rpi-isolator-hifiberry digi+pro (the hifiberry only for the I2S and there is only one GND. the isolator disconnect the GND from Rpi to Hifiberry and made extra GND for both). the hiss with higher resolution disappeared now with shorter I2S-cables (now 10cm instead of 17cm) and a better powersupply. the cables had a big influence on the hiss.
sorry that i can´t help more, mario

Thanks, now I understand a bit better how/where to add the shielding. But I still don't understand why it's necessary, and how it would remove the noise/hiss. I don't think there's anything in my system that is worth shielding from. There's just a linear power supply and a DDDAC. Please explain.

Its not easy to know where in your system you are picking up noise. Its not only a question of your system but it can pick RF as well.

I would suggest short i2s cables.

I tried the shielding as described in the pdf file (thanks for this cdsgames!). No change - the Kali does not provide data (no blue LED blinking or constantly lightning) to my DAC and background hiss is still there..
On my other RASPI with Piano 2.1 on top it powers directly and starts blinking the blue LED - is there another wire necessary from Raspi to Kali (I have only connected the I2S and GND, no 3,3V, no 5V or I2C lines)? Or is something wrong with the I2S signal coming from the hifiberry-board (which works perfectly when connected directly to the DAC without Kali)?
I think I will have to live using this direct path to my DAC without a Kali..

I tried the shielding as described in the pdf file (thanks for this cdsgames!). No change - the Kali does not provide data (no blue LED blinking or constantly lightning) to my DAC and background hiss is still there..
On my other RASPI with Piano 2.1 on top it powers directly and starts blinking the blue LED - is there another wire necessary from Raspi to Kali (I have only connected the I2S and GND, no 3,3V, no 5V or I2C lines)? Or is something wrong with the I2S signal coming from the hifiberry-board (which works perfectly when connected directly to the DAC without Kali)?
I think I will have to live using this direct path to my DAC without a Kali..

What happens if you connect the Kali to the DAC and the power supply only? Just the I2S and the 5V connection, but nothing else to the Kali. Do you still get the hiss/noise? I do.

i don´t have the kali, i have the Rpi-isolator-hifiberry digi+pro (the hifiberry only for the I2S and there is only one GND. the isolator disconnect the GND from Rpi to Hifiberry and made extra GND for both). the hiss with higher resolution disappeared now with shorter I2S-cables (now 10cm instead of 17cm) and a better powersupply. the cables had a big influence on the hiss.
sorry that i can´t help more, mario

Hi weymario,
do you feel improvement with rpi-isolator-hfb digi+pro versus only the digi+pro??

regards
Nuno

FYI there is an U.FL socket underneath...

I *had* to use it in one project here:

DLIII DAC Update | Latest Ideas Forum | ForumsPS Audio

MCLK (~24MHz or ~49MHz) then BCK are pretty sensitive if you route it thru a basic jumper wire. Just touching it messes with the sound, and sometimes even makes it work.

The bits are just bits (actual PCM data) are the slow easy part :D

Example: U.FL to SMA and mini-coax wire:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
FYI there is an U.FL socket underneath...

I *had* to use it in one project here:

DLIII DAC Update | Latest Ideas Forum | ForumsPS Audio

MCLK (~24MHz or ~49MHz) then BCK are pretty sensitive if you route it thru a basic jumper wire. Just touching it messes with the sound, and sometimes even makes it work.

The bits are just bits (actual PCM data) are the slow easy part :D

Example: U.FL to SMA and mini-coax wire:

Hmm, U.FL... never used that until now, but might be a good idea. Where can I find those cables?
How would you connect the I2S GND connections (shields)? Both ends on all cables? Both sides on one wire only and one side only for the other wires?

Your image does not show. Can you attach the file again?

Thinking about I2S wires and shielding again... I used the same unshielded wires with the WaveIO and the Kali, except that the WaveIO wires were longer (WaveIO: about 10-15 cm, Kali: 8 cm). I don't have the hiss/noise with the WaveIO. I therefore don't think the hiss/noise is due to poor I2S cables.

The U.FL stuff sounds interesting nevertheless.

I used the same unshielded wires with the WaveIO and the Kali, except that the WaveIO wires were longer (WaveIO: about 10-15 cm, Kali: 8 cm). I don't have the hiss/noise with the WaveIO. I therefore don't think the hiss/noise is due to poor I2S cables.

I think that's a dangerous assumption to make! All high speed digital devices generate RF EMI to a greater or lesser extent. It gets everywhere. My experience is that it makes a major contribution to making digital sound digital! Every physical boundary between the geometries that make up the circuits you have will interact with that energy in some way. Change something and you will get a different set of interactions.

I think that's a dangerous assumption to make! All high speed digital devices generate RF EMI to a greater or lesser extent. It gets everywhere. My experience is that it makes a major contribution to making digital sound digital! Every physical boundary between the geometries that make up the circuits you have will interact with that energy in some way. Change something and you will get a different set of interactions.
But wouldn't you agree that the longer cables of the WaveIO would tend to cause more noise?