• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs

A few more findings.

I have just finish listening to Katana using a pair of Focal Electra 1038. It sounds wonderful. Pure.Crystal .
When I chose deemphasis , the sound is wrong. Muted, takes the sparkle away
It comes alive when I remove the deemphasising and use either a slow or even fast filter.

In the office I am using Katana with a Volt+ D and some older Polk audio bookshelves . Its almost like its driving the bookshelves to the edge. I use them with slightly less than volume I am used to.

Does it make sense ?

Look. You're wrong again. Cutting out just half of the story from the manual to support your story,
just proves my overall impression about that review.
As you said. It probably requires to be an expert to understand what's been written. :D

To shed some light on the subject. (I just read the manual)

Surprise. Surprise. There's also a 4 x supply option!

It starts with 3x5V (PI/DAC/Controller) first of all. And that's called "Best" from an Allo perspective. Nope - I wasn't wrong about that. You were!

And if that 3 supply option is still not good enough :spin: - Allo is well aware that a few people will still ask for more - you then can feed the outputstage separately +-15V on top of that. Basically the controller power feed will be separated from the outputstage power feed.
This will become the potentially "best of the best" option - my words. -- And all that is valid until you add the already announced isolator HAT and a 5th supply ? which will become - you guessed it - the "TripleBest" setup.

See what I mean!?!? ;)

If you found a different way of feeding that tower - the way you described it - I'd apologize for being wrong about it.

Last edited:
I would like to say a few words on reviews.

We have seen many over the years, some with mistakes and some with less. In the end everyone has an opinion, and usually we send an email and correct what we think its wrong.

I do not think that Katana is for advanced users, but I respect opinions.

Now moving on with the testing of main systems and my (cheap system)

Katana continues to shine in my main system surpassing my main DAC. Every filter sounds different Deemphasize sounds wrong.

My "cheap" system. I tried the Shiit , Boss and Katana. At very high volume they all start sounding slightly distorted (acustic distortion)

So , I changed the speakers position and placed a few (big pieces of cloth on the walls and one in the corner) Basically I tired to improve the acoustics .

It helped but did not bring it close to my main system

So I tried more speakers. What I found , is that Katana shines with good speakers.

Every time we moved up to a better speaker, Katana was able to output a better sound.

Moral of the story. Katana will show any acustic imbalances in your system and quality of speakers/amp.

Now I will take a step back and wait for the rest of the reviewers to give their opinions.

In the end everyone has an opinion

Yep. I do have a strong "opinion" about that review. :D

Based on the fact that features simply are not understood (this is documented), the drawn conclusions are flawed and misleading.

If he - after correcting the flaws - still thinks hooking up a USB-C and uUSB cable requires expert knowledge - fair enough. It's still an opinion. :rolleyes:

Why all the fuss? I do think flawed reviews can potentially harm a product for no reason. Such a reviewer should be called out. He'll at least get a chance to correct the mess.

Enjoy.

Well, looks like Katana isn't going to be here today.

Attachments

• Katana Delay.jpg
    Katana Delay.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 346
@soundcheck

I think you are too harsh. Maybe he messed up some technical details, but it appears to me that he got the sound impressions right and this is much more important.
Further it would be much more fair to write your comments in the comment section of the Volumio HP.

Matt

Last edited:
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Every time we moved up to a better speaker, Katana was able to output a better sound.

Moral of the story. Katana will show any acustic imbalances in your system and quality of speakers/amp.

Hey cdsgames,

I just placed an order. Super excited! I'm going to be streaming Tidal. I'll be using a 300B SET tube amp as my main power amp into Zu Cubes (and Rythmik Subwoofer). I've been told that the Zu Cubes can be quite detail and resolving. Does that type of characteristic make for a good match with the Katana you think?

Thanks!

Hey cdsgames,

I just placed an order. Super excited! I'm going to be streaming Tidal. I'll be using a 300B SET tube amp as my main power amp into Zu Cubes (and Rythmik Subwoofer). I've been told that the Zu Cubes can be quite detail and resolving. Does that type of characteristic make for a good match with the Katana you think?

Thanks!

I think so but cannot guarantee.