New DSO oscilloscopes - which one?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
I have a DPO4034 at work and a TDS3032 at home.

The TDS3032 was bought after lots of humming and hawing with my own money, and I paid for the FFT option. I use the 'scope more as a spectrum analyser fed from the filter output of my audio test set. 9 bits of resolution coupled to 80dB of rejection in the test set means I get plenty of detail. I like the TDS3032, but that's probably because I've got used to it (I bought it seven years ago). It's a very nice little 'scope and you can almost (but not quite) get away without having an analogue 'scope as well. Being able to save traces to a floppy is great.

The DPO4034 arrived two weeks ago. I started a new job and said, "So, as I'm a new post, you must have some money allocated for a new 'scope for me? I'd like a DPO4032." There was some money sloshing around, and it arrived four days later. I probably wouldn't have got it if they'd had time to think about it...

The DPO4034 (they wanted it to have the I2C option, and that's only available on the 4ch variety) is essentially a bigger TDS3034. It has a big screen (10.5") and 10Mpt memory on each channel. That's a lot. An awful lot. It means it can maintain its maximum sample rate (2.5GS/s) down to quite slow time base speeds. My TDS3032 only has 30kpt of memory. All that memory means FFTs can have lots of resolution, but it means that everything happens slower because there's a lot of memory to fill and do sums on. I've found it easier to start with 10kpt of memory, set everything up, then increase to 10Mpt if I need it. Some of the ways in which controls work aren't as nice as the TDS3032 - cursors are more fiddly and one or two other things have caused mild swearing. One irritating aspect is that despite being an overgrown TDS3034, the guzzinter is different and you can't plug a TCP202 current probe into it without an adaptor.

Would I buy a DPO4000 series with my own money? Probably not. The TDS3032 does exactly what I want and I can live with the short memory for most of my applications. For work, the DPO4034 is the right tool and has already been used to do stuff the TDS3034s that we also have can't do.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.