New Dayton Audio pre built speaker

+/-3dB is not really a bad alignment in such things. Sometimes more parts really aren't warranted if it still doesn't fix the issues for a preferably better result.

The lower dip is no different than the actual known BBC dip from the original LS3/5A, as it placed focus on the vocals and cleaned up the unnecessary warmth for radio. Many people love this about that old style, and even Jeff Bagby's Continuums were voiced purposely this way. Sometimes warmth can throw mud on the midrange.

The upper dip area is what is typically referred to as the most sensitive region to our ears, and what most people describe and practice as BBC dip, or a trough from 1-5k. It also makes forward/worse recordings easier to tolerate.

The 100-200Hz area is known to help fake a bit of bass in smaller designs for emphasis and make them sound larger and fuller than they are. In PR designs with the more than typical EBS rolloff slope on the low end, this can also help the sound with punch, as Erin described it.

Would I call these an 'accurate' speaker? I don't know that it's not accurate for someone with lesser recordings as their majority of their collection. It seems to me that these could totally satisfy a group of hard rock/hiphop followers, but maybe leave the orchestral or jazz lover a bit unimpressed.

My listening sessions were brief the twice I've heard them, but the bass was solid and deep, and the sound was not awful as we know some commercial outfits have been at these shows. I would like more time with them. However, I feel the tradeoffs made in this design lend well to better intelligibility for less fatigue, and likely target a certain area of listeners.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
@wolf_teeth you said "jaw dropping" now you sound like you are making excuses. I think you should just say you got out over your ski's. I never believed you in the first place because anyone who thinks they learned much at a show is fooling themselves. I know you are an accomplished designer, would you be satisfied with this speaker had you designed it?
I'm being blunt with you because you seem like you can take it and you are often very direct yourself.

Be creative , they are versatile ... why don't use them as gigantic headphones , clamped somehow to some stiff necked audiophooles :)

Okay only 70dB but power-wise they offer lotsa "head-room" !!

Greetz from the X-Lab of Dr. Frankenstein :)

ps .. don't loose your head about this weird hobby .... see what can otherwise happen to you :

wwc10.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
@wolf_teeth you said "jaw dropping" now you sound like you are making excuses. I think you should just say you got out over your ski's. I never believed you in the first place because anyone who thinks they learned much at a show is fooling themselves. I know you are an accomplished designer, would you be satisfied with this speaker had you designed it?
I'm being blunt with you because you seem like you can take it and you are often very direct yourself.
Wait a minute here, I said they dropped Jaws all weekend long because they did. Matt said so. I did not say to me that they were jaw-dropping. I saw someone do just that while I was there, albeit briefly.
I did not get out over my ski's because I spoke the truth.

Number1, it's not my design. I don't like my designs to finish under the 80dB threshold for sensitivity. It just so happens I this case they can take enough power to overcome that.
In the design I'll be doing with the E150HE44, they will be in parallel with careful circuits to keep amps happy and start ahead of the curve. 3way for better HD too.

However, In the project I am currently working on, I am under that line, but will revise with another driver in the near future. This is the first time my results have been this low of output.

Number2, I was just stating the tricks, methods, and choices made that might be why it looks like it does. I've used a number of those tools myself. Never did I say they are wrong ways to do something.

Number3, I didn't know for certain what commercial speaker the dip was in for more focused voices. I've not really heard any of them myself but the Harbeth, so I had no knowledge of which one it actually was. I just knew Jeff always said he patterned the Continuums after the LS3/5A, and i took it as fact because he said so.

Number4, I hope the comment about being 'self proclaimed winning designer' wasn't directed at me. If it was, I'm not really sure why.

I don't know why I'm getting jumped on here. Frankly, I'm kinda disappointed the OPAL1 is so polarizing in the first place. It's a speaker, enjoy it or don't.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Wait a minute here, I said they dropped Jaws all weekend long because they did. Matt said so. I did not say to me that they were jaw-dropping. I saw someone do just that while I was there, albeit briefly.
I did not get out over my ski's because I spoke the truth.

Number1, it's not my design. I don't like my designs to finish under the 80dB threshold for sensitivity. It just so happens I this case they can take enough power to overcome that.
In the design I'll be doing with the E150HE44, they will be in parallel with careful circuits to keep amps happy and start ahead of the curve. 3way for better HD too.

However, In the project I am currently working on, I am under that line, but will revise with another driver in the near future. This is the first time my results have been this low of output.

Number2, I was just stating the tricks, methods, and choices made that might be why it looks like it does. I've used a number of those tools myself. Never did I say they are wrong ways to do something.

Number3, I didn't know for certain what commercial speaker the dip was in for more focused voices. I've not really heard any of them myself but the Harbeth, so I had no knowledge of which one it actually was. I just knew Jeff always said he patterned the Continuums after the LS3/5A, and i took it as fact because he said so.

Number4, I hope the comment about being 'self proclaimed winning designer' wasn't directed at me. If it was, I'm not really sure why.

I don't know why I'm getting jumped on here. Frankly, I'm kinda disappointed the OPAL1 is so polarizing in the first place. It's a speaker, enjoy it or don't.
I think I'm the only one jumping on you and not really in a malicious manner. You said "These sound great, dropped Jaws all day Saturday." Which seems like a gross exaggeration but that may have been what people (you) were saying. I like the Continuum's but I think they measure better than these. In the grand scheme it don't mean **** so don't sweat it too much.