New DAC project 24/96/192 wanted features

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: To this work with signals below or near 1 µV.

HarryHaller said:
Yes like 0.1 nanovolts perhaps.............

Harry, you complained about my low information value postings. Could you do the same for me in my threads, please?

I was wondering about SPDIF and TOSLINK. How high sampling frequency can this optical link transfer? Can it take 192 kSp? Isn't the frequency 4 times the bit rate (biphase coding)?

I haven't tested myself yet but someone already know I'll be happy to hear more about it.

SPDIF and TOSLINK

"I was wondering about SPDIF and TOSLINK. How high sampling frequency can this optical link transfer? Can it take 192 kSp? Isn't the frequency 4 times the bit rate (biphase coding)?"

Yes :nod:This will work fine.

Seems that H.H. is in a bit of a snit and I don't see much useful from him as of late. I plan to ignore the pompous *** myself as I find him extremly off putting.:headbash:

Guy

It wise to have the datasheets as normal limits but sometimes they aren't true. TOSLINK works to at least 30 meters (100 feet). I have tested it myself. Datasheet says 10.

As a pro it's a death sin to use parts over the limits. You can get into trouble if you assume that parameters are typical instead of min-max. If you still uses parts beyond their limits, it's a calculated risk.

What about transmission links for 192 kSp? What do we have?

maximum data rate of 6Mbps

The Data Sheet is much too conservative. It have built several of these interfaces and they worked splendidly with very low jitter, vanishy low data errors, and extremely good sonics.

What did you say your professional and educational background was? I didn't wish to confuse you in any further disscussions and would like to try to keep the technical disscussions at your level if possible so as to explain any questions that might arise if I am able to make myself understood to someone with your background.

Guy

Here's a bog-standard implementation of the CS43122, being fed a 24/96 signal from a CS8420. The outputs from CS43122 feed FET buffers with active loads. If anyone has a suggestion for a lower distortion FET, I'm listening.

Schematic

I omitted the input and output circuitry, as everyone has different tastes. My inputs will be an optical receiver, coax S/PDIF, and AES/EBU coupled with pulse transformers and switched in with relays. The outputs are coupled through 10µF polypropylene capacitors to XLR and RCA connectors.

"Even Jocko Homo and Steve Eddy are nice guys these days."

Don't include me in your personal grudge match, or make erroneous assumptions..........

$300 USD for a no-holds-barred DAC? Give me a break, pal. No way, no how. Crap parts, and crap design equal crap sound.......and $$ for some middleman.

Sounds like extreme crap to me.

Jocko

Re: If you still uses parts beyond their limits, it's a calculated risk.

theodorecleaver said:
A very small risk that is usually irelevent in a one off build. He is not going to build a thousand of these after all.

Yes, at least 43000 pcs.

I think it's a shame to do something which is not repeatable, don't you? I have pcb's from my old CS4328 with obsolete chips, how fun is this?

Wether I plan to make 2 or 1000 pcb's and people want to make their own or not I still think it's important to design "timeless" designs. My QSX phono amp did I design for 17 years ago and it's still possible to biuld it. My old headphone amp on the other hand is not possible to biuld because of the obsolete MOSFET's (not really obsolete but for private persons it is).

Those who are concerned about my commercial interest, this DAC project is very narrow. Not many out there have DAC's nor build their own. I plan this just for fun.

Re: "Even Jocko Homo and Steve Eddy are nice guys these days."

Jocko Homo said:
Don't include me in your personal grudge match, or make erroneous assumptions..........

$300 USD for a no-holds-barred DAC? Give me a break, pal. No way, no how. Crap parts, and crap design equal crap sound.......and $$ for some middleman.

Sounds like extreme crap to me.

OK, Jocko, thanks for your valuable input here. You know about better chips I suppose?

Re: signature web link

fcel said:
Peranders,
Your signature says check out your home page but I don't see any web link. What happen to it?

You know, there are buttons for email and homepage. Of some peculiar reason I didn't see the WWW-button.

Also Jocko, why do you bother at all to read this thread when you only can say crap, crap, crap? I appreciate if you have something valuable to say except for "crap".

Anyway, my old CD from stoneage, 1989(?), Denon DCD-1520 sounds wonderful with bad B-B PCM63. My CS4328 DAC sounds even wonderfuller, despite the crap DAC. I don't expect that CS43122 or AK4395 will sound so awful that my ears will hurt.

Ever hear of Burr-Brown?

They make the whole shootin' match. RX chip, filter, DACs.

Let's see........there is $100 in parts right there. And 2 more DACs to make balanced, $175. And an "extreme" analog stage........2 toroids for 4 seperate power supplies.....an PCB large enough for all of that.....and a big shiny metal enclosure.

There........$500 easy.

Why do I read this "crap"? Stay tuned.......

Jocko

Here's your answer, pal

On May 8, this year, you attacked the clock circuit by an esteemed memeber of this forum. Without provocation and/or merit. The only reason I could see for said behaviour was to promote yourself as some pseudo-expert and hype your wares.

While this person is an adult, and certainly needs no one to defend him, I stood up for him. When challenged, you merely wimped out and started another thread about oscillators. All this led to was you trying deflect criticism by explaining to the readers that this was turning into a private conversation between us, and was over their heads.

No, only yours, I feel.

Anytime someone challenges your ideas, it seems you merely turn tail and run. And start some other empty thread. I'm sure that a certain other forum member knows exactly what I am talking about.

Too bad we didn't have the "report this thread to a moderator" stuff back then, because I would have jumped your case.

Now.......if you want to report this one.....the go right ahead. But be warned: I will dredge up that post of yours, even if I have to spend all week going through your 500 or so vacuous posts. And give it to you in return.

I don't know if someone with the amount of stuff you seem to have designed is really clueless, or just trolling. It is hard to tell form your posts. But all I can see is endless drivel, extolling your extreme stuff you want to sell.

So......the way I see it.......

1.) Throw down the gauntlet, and become fair game for that "art of noise" clown, and everyone else who thinks you are an annoying pest. (And trust me.....my inbox is full of thoughts like that.....so tread lightly......The Viking hordes are awaiting off your coast.......{this very last part is the obligatory joke of this rant}......)

Or 2.) the prefered one.......

Apologize, right here and now for your attack on fellow forum member's work. A fellow member that I am sure many will feel has contributed more than his fair share. And I mean a REAL apology. Not some wussy little....."well, I didn't mean to......." or "well, I didn't think that.........", "gee, I am sorry that......that is not what I meant......." crap. No. A real apology.

Right here. Right now.

Then I will stop reading your crap, and let you go on with whatever it is that is the business you are up to.

Choice is your, pal.

Jocko

Here's your answer, pal

I say. What was all that about.:bigeyes: I have reviewed quite a few of your post and found them to be technically correct as well as insightful..:judge: Your advice has been right on target.:judge: You seem to get on well with every one except a few notorious hotheads:hot: I feel you one of the most prolific members of the forum and look at all your post. It is ashamed what jelousy will do.Your website,
http://home.swipnet.se/~w-50719/hifi/
has also been very helpful and I thank you for all your splendid contributions.

Guy

Thanks, GGrand. Jocko has some problem I can't figure out what it is. He can't these days say anything positive.

Please, Jocko, as soon as you see "peranders" as thread starter ignore reading the thread or at least avoid posting criticism, please...... Thanks to those who are at least polite but with other point of views than myself.

peranders,
methinks i know Jocko's problem, see below. Moreover, it did not slip my attention that you try to smear honey around my mouth. Methinks, you think if you are nice to the moderator, tell him how nice he is and how incredibly good his wording is, then he will let pass things he would intercept otherwise. But instead he smelled a rat. :irked: and now you are worse on than before.

Jocko,
did you mean this post?
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=29345#post29345
I never observed you being so angry and excited, i never saw such a long post from you. So i did the search for a peranders post from May 8 this year. And i am not amused at all. :mad:

Had this link "report this post ..."exitisted back then and had i been moderator back then, i would have been on Elso's side as you were, and i would have demanded peranders to give Elso a genuine apology.

peranders,
i have quite a collection of complaints in my inbox about cases of spam, of advertizing for your stuff. Each of them seems to be right below the threshold of pain but in total, they are above it.
So i would like to remind you to read our rules, they say: no spam. A link in your signature is ok, answering to questions concerning your website if there is public interest (if not better answer via email), too, noone will complain about that, but diyAudio remains spam-free zone until Jason the siteowner decides he finances our site by asking limited fee for limited advertizing. Which is not in sight.

So, moderator order 1: stop advertizing for your stuff!
Moderator order 2: you give Elso Kwak the long overdue apology, a genuine, washproof apology (and no lame backing out!!) ! In public!
:sarge:..Have i made myself understood?

dice45
(diyAudio moderator)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.