• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

New build: Mullard 5-10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have experimented with the ECC83 as an amplifier and I have found that there is a harmonic distortion minimum when the ratio ov the DC voltage across the tube is about 1.2 to 1.5 times the voltage across the anode load resistor. You can achieve that by changing the value of the 1k8 resistor in the cathode of the triode connected EF86 to something like 2k2 or 2k7.

I have not tried that, so this is nothing more than an educated guess.
Hans J Weedon.

On the pole zero of the LTP, I was mistaken, the 1 Meg 100nF RC does indeed represent a pole inside the feedback loop. That may be one reason that in a typical setup there is a subharmonic peak in the frequency domain for small signal tests. I sort of wondered why that was, and now I know why. Thank you so much for correcting my understanding of the circuit.

Hans J Weedon.

Hi I have studied the various versions of the ECC88 dual triode.

The original version of the tube was intended for use as a low noise cascade preamp at RF, and they did not pay much attention to the internal mechanical construction. At RF frequencies nobody cares if the elements vibrate a little bit. Phillips/Mullard discovered that some people tried to use ECC88 in Audio circuits, but complained about microphonics and filament hum injection. The military wanted to use this dual triode too, and defined a dual triode with ECC88 characteristics, but militarized as far as acceleration and shock were concerned. They defined a new high reliability version of the tube with an average life greater than 10,000 hours operating life.

This became the E188CC version (and other 4 digit numerical names) of the design. In this version the elements were held solidly in place to survive the mil-spec. A new cathode with reduced interface problems with the tube off most of the time. They also “spiraled” the filament to improve lifetime. Fortunately the mechanically more solidly assembled electrodes reduced the microphonic effects enough to now OK the E188CC as a low level microphone preamp as well. The twisting of the heater construction reduced the hum pickup too. If you are building an Audio Amplifier specifying the ECC88, try switching to the E188CC as a substitute. You will like it if you do.
Hans J Weedon.

Kay Pirinha said:
I don't think that a varying EF86's plate voltage will disbalance the LTP, as it's both grids are connected via the 1M/100n RC low pass. The first tube's plate voltage has a strong impact on the tail current, though.
Varying the first stage anode voltage can unbalance the LTP. Let me explain it again - I seem to have to do this every few months in different threads.

The cause is grid current. If the first stage anode voltage is high then the LTP draws more current through the tail resistor. This also means a lower anode voltage on the LTP. Lower anode voltage and higher anode current means smaller negative grid-cathode voltage. The ECC83/12AX7 has high mu so there is only a small window of bias between cutoff (too negative) and grid current (insufficiently negative, typically from around -1V and up). So high current in the LTP means both triodes start to draw a little grid current. This doesn't affect the first triode much as that can draw on the first stage anode. The second triode gets its bias via a 1M resistor, so the grid current drops some voltage and the result is imbalance.

HJWeedon said:
On the pole zero of the LTP, I was mistaken, the 1 Meg 100nF RC does indeed represent a pole inside the feedback loop. That may be one reason that in a typical setup there is a subharmonic peak in the frequency domain for small signal tests. I sort of wondered why that was, and now I know why. Thank you so much for correcting my understanding of the circuit.
Glad to be able to help. This issue is missed by most people. I noticed that the Mullard amplifier book itself shows a small LF peak and started wondering why.

Hi again (today)
I took a look at the schematic for the Mullard 5-10 amplifier. If the input sensitivity is too high for today's signal sources, and you therefore get too much hum, I believe that using the EF86 in triode mode is a good way to go. That should lower the gain of the circuit by a factor of 4. We convert the tube connection to a triode by connecting grid2 and grid3 to the anode (plate if you will). Although grid 2 connected to anode is all that is really needed, also connecting grid3 to anode will reduce the electron "confusion" in the grid2 to anode space. I believe the tube used in the triode mode that way is a tiny bit more true triode like.

Electrically, there is no reason not to use an ECC83/12AX7 in that space, but the hum control is somewhat better in the EF86 than the generic 12AX7. there are special ECC83 verities with better filament hum control, but they tend to run into more money. Remember, though: When you use the EF86 in the triode mode you no longer need R5 and C2 and should not connect them. Also when you use the triode-connected EF86 you should change the feedback resistor by a factor of 4, because as a triode the EF86 has a quarter of the gain, pentode connected. For the 8 Ohm case you should use 5.6k with a 620pF capacitor in parallel.
Good luck.
Hans J Weedon

Hi
I know this is a an old thread but I just have one question concerning modification of the EF86 to triode mode in the Mullard 5-10.

Is it necessary to change the value of the cathode bypass capacitor? I note that Elektor reduce it from 50mfd to 10mfd

Thanks
Malcolm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.