New build DIY JBL free plans 2 X 2226 40Hz?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can I use these JBL enclosure 8 cu.ft. plans # 10 which uses 2 15" woofers JBL 2226 which I just bought 4 from eBay and being reconed as we speak? Basically I will be using these as a 3 way DJ system with a separate DIY top 10" mid horn and a 1" B&C ME 45 horn DE250 in another trap cab, or a suggested neo 1". I want to know if the 4 x 4" ports have to be center located on the sub matters? I was planning to put it on each corner of the baffle, would this configuration change the tuning of the sub from 40Hz? I will be using this reflex sub from 40Hz-300Hz with a little eq bump around 200-250 kick type sound out of the sub for dance type music. I will be using a easy setup Ashly XR 2001 analog crossover which I am still looking to buy off eBay.

Any suggestion as to modify or convert the 4 x 4" pot tubes to maybe 2 x plastic 6" precision port tubes from parts-express to have the same tuning 40-300Hz and centrally located on the sub cab? Thanks

Which plans?

Yes you can convert ports to a different size and shape but if you want to do corners then I suggest triangle ports, or you could substitute a single slot port right in the middle of the baffle.

413_1.jpg

Or like this is you want to split the cabinet internal volume into 2 separate chambers.. which is not a bad idea.

EV-XSUBF.JPG

Center rectangular ports would look like this..

JBL%20SRX828SP_m2-Large.jpg

Last edited:
Hi conanski, the center triangles looks and seems an easy cut but does that weaken or create resonances because you are weakening the center part of the baffle or is there a support 2X4 wood as used in the 80's in Altec and JBL cabs. Plastic port tubes are $39 a piece so thats $78 per cab. Are these triangular ports can be tuned 40Hz? How do they sound and will this create noise right at the vent area audible? Will be using Crest 7001 for the subs 4 ohm, then QSC CX 502 for the 10" Faital Pro 10PR300 and EV 7100 for the B&C.

as there's several in print form and on the "net" and depending on which booklet release we're talking about, that really doesn't clear up which one your looking at. i have a few but #10 does not match your description...?
any chance you can upload the drawing your looking at or supply a URL that others can reference?
i take it your hoping to find a proven design that fits your needs.

Hi conanski, the center triangles looks and seems an easy cut but does that weaken or create resonances because you are weakening the center part of the baffle or is there a support 2X4 wood as used in the 80's in Altec and JBL cabs. Plastic port tubes are $39 a piece so thats $78 per cab. Are these triangular ports can be tuned 40Hz? How do they sound and will this create noise right at the vent area audible? .

No this doesn't weaken the baffle this design actually reinforces it some, you add sides to the port in behind the baffle and the wall of the cab forms the 3rd side of the port. Ports are also sized so they do not create wind noise at high power, this is why ports are usually much larger in pro audio designs than in home audio.

that works!
nice onken style enclosure.if your contemplating building this be aware that it's much more difficult to adjust vent area for proper tuning than typical BR enclosures.

That's what I thought, just like the B&C 215 plans lookalike onken. Well then my question is the Enclosure JBL guide for 8 cu.ft. bass reflex cab or 4508 cab you see 4 ports are required for the #10 suggested plans 2 x 2226H and 4508 has 2 ports in the mid cab looks bigger 6" dia. but it seems the 4508 is a bigger overall size wise. OR is there a proven plans using double 2226H like the 4508 or #10 plans to get great sounding high performance with those style vents to get true 40Hz-300 or even 500Hz? Or plans like conanski's triangle port in the middle of the baffle?

Thanks for the help guys!

Ok perfect, how do I compute how many inches deep into the cab the ports have to be I will be using 18 mm BB and putting metal handles on each side of the cab and using 2"x4" wood to stiffen the cab like older JBL PA cabs of the '80's tuned to 40Hz of the '80's?
Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.