New Build: Coniston^2 dual driver double mouth MBVR

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Alright guys; I finished them up earlier today! The best part is, I'm using the drivers from the Thirlmere bipole design I'd build earlier with the EL70's so they've been properly broken in and already sound VERY nice before going into the new cabinets.

I lined two walls in the enclosures with felt; the walls behind each driver. I normally use carpet tape to mount the dampening but today I realized my staple gun will fit through the holes for the EL70...excellent. Much easier and I wont ever fear of the dampening falling off again. Much quicker too :D

Right off, I could tell these were VERY efficient. I'd built the Lotus BVR^2 design with the CHR70's and I think this blow them out of the water in terms of efficiency. I didn't get a chance to crank them today but I had them about 1/3 on my Sonic Impact amp and they were fairly loud already.

I had the side driver facing the inside. I feel like this is the best way. My room is 12x12.5 feet and I think it's a bit small for these towers. The sound stage is VERY nice and placement is excellent. I do believe that placing them farther apart than I had them (about 8feet as I had them) would be even better. I'll test them with the side drivers on the outside as well.

Bass response in my room was TOO much. I actually checked my media player because I thought I had the low end EQ pushed up a touch; only to find it was dead flat! I think these need a bit of a larger room to even out the bottom end. However, don't let me kid you; it wasn't really a bad thing. I'll have fun with it for sure and I can always EQ down in a small room. These will be PERFECT for slightly larger rooms and listening spaces.

I only had about 15 minutes to play today before I had to go but I plan to do MUCH more playing tomorrow :)

Coniston2007.jpg

Coniston2008.jpg

Masking tape really holds? I would have never thought...

No brace in these.

Damping material is applied prior to attaching last panel with adhesive of your choice - after switching to the 1/2" Ultratouch insulation, I was able to switch to white PVA rather than hot glue.

Since I generally rebate my drivers for flush mounting, the masking tape is used to cover the recessed cut-out; in other words it's adhered to the rebated flange margin, and trimmed with a utility knife. You could probably to the same thing with surface mounted drivers - just apply tape wider than the driver cut-out and temporarily mount the driver(s) backwards for trimming template.

Enough coats of solvent based sprayed lacquer can cause it peal around the edges, but will usually protect the inside of the box from overspray

and definitely try bracing on your next iteration(s) - that is unless you're not planning on any further builds :D

Damping material is applied prior to attaching last panel with adhesive of your choice - after switching to the 1/2" Ultratouch insulation, I was able to switch to white PVA rather than hot glue.

Since I generally rebate my drivers for flush mounting, the masking tape is used to cover the recessed cut-out; in other words it's adhered to the rebated flange margin, and trimmed with a utility knife. You could probably to the same thing with surface mounted drivers - just apply tape wider than the driver cut-out and temporarily mount the driver(s) backwards for trimming template.

Enough coats of solvent based sprayed lacquer can cause it peal around the edges, but will usually protect the inside of the box from overspray

and definitely try bracing on your next iteration(s) - that is unless you're not planning on any further builds :D

Thanks for the tips!

I usually build the first "trial" without the bracing. Subsequent versions are braced if the trial versions show a need.

I'm actually listening to them right now. Last week my friend sent me a song by Infected Mushroom called Avrats. It's a bit of an electronic song but has some VERY real sounds in it. Reminds me of playing Donkey Kong as a kid. There is this wild little "spring" sound in the song that is possibly the most real sound I've ever heard come through a transducer. I'm loving these so far!

Unfortunately this means I'll have to build myself a set. I'm running out of space...:eek:

I kmow what you mean about space. If you build some by yourself, you'll have to treat yourself to tricked out drivers. In the words of Gregg-the-Geek "those are a whole different driver" :)

dave

I still haven't done anything but test the CHR70eN drivers I got from you. Honest to God they are still in the box. I'm hopefully going to do something with those soon as well.

I've done a lot of listening with them and I really am enjoying them. Bass response is incredible and I still remain convinced that the low end response will be board flat in a larger room. I know that the room I have them in is fairly smaller room.

Midrange detail is just staggering. The vocals are fantastic and sound like they are actually in the room. I'm developing a strong affection for the stand up bass too because of these speakers. The great thing I really notice now is not just the underlying tone of the actual string plucked; but rather the sound the fingers make as they leave the strings.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.