New bass loading technique ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To FrankDIY
DBR is a distant relative of VFlex. Horn and TL is closer.
To Max Payn
VFlex is not patented and never will - at least not from me.
To Soongsc
Flexing panels were used in a previous model. VFlex has no flexing panels, but very dense, thick and damped composite panels.
To MJK
Thank you for the reverse engineering part, coming from you it's very flattering and I sincerely mean it. Regarding the performance claims (and different posts on this and other forums, and numerous reviews) I must say that there is inflation somewhere. Someone picks up something somewhere and after a while the reality is completely distorted.
I designed two models with VFlex (actually a whole lot more, but only two we're brought to market and a third one coming in a few weeks). One model uses the Fostex FE108Sigma, the other model uses a SilverFlute 6.5 inches and the upcoming model uses a special Accuton driver.
The model with the lowest bass response is the one using the small Fostex. I measured the Fostex at the NRC anechoic facility and the 20Hz output was down 3dB relative to 90dB reference level. I - and numerous other - was amazed by the results and the speaker is truly impressive for what it is. The key to the design is getting the ripples at the right place and using only the part I wanted by designing an acoustic bandpass filter in the horn mouth (refered by some reviewers as a reflex vent).
I know that the Fostex 3 in. membrane is too small to move enough air. In fact, it doesn't move air but is used as a piston to power the horn/TL hybrid. This creates large ripples below - some I want and some I do not want. I chose to keep the first two ripples and get rid of the rest by carefully positioning a "vent" which acts as the bandpass (or lowpass in that case).
Common wisdom says ripples are bad (and I agree). In the Vflex, I chose to keep what I liked about the "bad" and get rid of the nasty, as my big-picture goal was good music reproduction.
The result is impressive bass performance and extreme loading to the cone, restricting movement and allowing the small Xmax to work in the design. I do not know where the 100dB SPL figure comes from, because it just can't be.
I would like to stress that bass performance should never constitute the only or major purchasing (or design) factor in a speaker. Bass should be seen as the foundation on which you build coherent music reproduction and what's over 100Hz or so is much more important than what's below.
Somehow people started to focus on the "claims" and lost the essential and this is unfortunately out of my control.
Regarding the point pertaining to buying speakers over the internet based on some reviews, I'd like to add that we do not sell on the internet and we do not intend to. Speakers should always be auditioned, first in the dealer showroom and later on, at home over a sufficient length of time to overcome the "wow" and novelty factor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.