• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

New Aspen 125W Amplifier - The Titan

Hugh my friend, Nils Lofaren is 72 and still plays a mean guitar. You are still in the game. The Lifesource sounds as good as ever. Alas I never assembled the Nirvana+. I have recently placed an order with Clayton Shaw for his new open back speakers the Caladans. Clayton was designer owner at Spatial Audio until going it alone. I spoke with him on the phone and like most of you high end audio designers could not have been nicer. I am waiting to see your web site. I would as always like to see what marvels you have been cooking up. I still think you are the best kept secret in Audio. The lifesource now slightly aging in tech still punches with amps way more expemsive. It was a great investment and has brought me much joy over the years.

Reactions: 1 user
Hugo,
Thank you for your wonderful pix of your Zeus!
You did a very good implementation and will stand as a reference to other builders - and congratulations on your buffer which looks and sounds good.
I have had issues with my email carrier and hoping it is OK now.
I enjoy our email chat..... let's continue!

Hugh

@AKSA I've read this entire thread with childlike excitement. You have a pedigree for outstanding accomplishments in amplifier design.

Enough flattery, when / how can I buy a pair of Titan modules? I tried going to your website, but it appears to be down for the count.

Hope you are keeping well and that you and your loved ones have an blessed and enjoyable Christmas.

Cheers!

Respectfully,
Kevin

Hello @AKSA , thanks so much for providing your email. I sent you a note — in hindsight it seems more like a dissertation. I realize I didn't ask much about the amp itself and the build, and I was more engaged in a conversational tone in the email. Also, I think I learned everything I really need to know about the amp through the story that unfolded over the life of this post of yours. It's honestly enchanting.

At any rate, whenever you have an opportunity to respond that would be lovely.

I truly look forward to hearing from you.
Respectfully,
Kevin

Hello Hugh,

I've been reading about your work with great interest. I'm considering building the Aspen Titan as a replacement for my Class D Amps. My loudspeakers based on the ScanSpeak Illuminator seem to be a bit too revealing for a Class D amp so I'm looking for a bit more natural sounding Amp to build.
I'm just puzzled by what you mean with the following sentence:

and if you have 88dB/watt/meter 8R speakers I can't see any point in using the 200W amplifier.

This is the loudspeaker the Titan will have to drive:

https://www.speakerland.nl/luidspre...uidsprekers/scan-speak-minimonitor-beryllium/

Kind regards and keep up the great work,
Ed

Ed,
The Titan was designed for 8R loads with dips to 5R at maximum output. At a pinch it will cope with 4R loads, but my certainty is that any 4R speaker will drop to 3R at some frequency between 100Hz and 300Hz and this will stress the Titan at HIGH VOLUME.
It all depends how your listen to your music, and the sensitivity of the speakers. If it is under 88dB/watt/metre and you listen at high SPL, the Titan may not be suited to you, the Maya would be a better option.
I would like to suggest the Titan, but the impedance of this suggested amp is really suited to a more powerful amplifier, and on this basis I would suggest the Maya. But the Maya is much more expensive, so my question is this: Can your speakerland seller give you a Minimonitor at 8R impedance? If yes, then the Titan is the amp to use here.

Ciao,
Hugh Dean

Hello Dean,

Thanks for your in-depth answer. This is very valuable. I already have built the speakers, so converting to 8R is not really an option.
I'll have a serious look into the Maya. I listen at music at a wide variety in volume, and do enjoy the occasional higher volume session. How much will a DIY kit for stereo cost approximately?

Kind regards,
Ed

The Titan was designed for 8R loads with dips to 5R at maximum output. At a pinch it will cope with 4R loads, but my certainty is that any 4R speaker will drop to 3R at some frequency between 100Hz and 300Hz and this will stress the Titan at HIGH VOLUME. It all depends how your listen to your music, and the sensitivity of the speakers. If it is under 88dB/watt/metre and you listen at high SPL, the Titan may not be suited to you
Hugh, does the same apply to the Saksa 85?

The SAKSA is different; it has high power mosfets at the output stage and they can pass huge current without blowing; the Titan has C5200/A1943 bipolars which have a defined SOAR zone and you have to be more careful.
So, the SAKSA is actually tougher for a low impedance, because I use mosfets suitable for linear use (FQA40N25 and FQA36P15).

An advantage of mosfets, but in truth the sound quality is a little different, less 'slam'.

Velovid,
The Maya modules, with heatsinks, are $AUD3200, which is $USD2145. The modules include power supplies (two, each of 65V rails, but needing a 300VA with two 45Vac independent secondaries). The Maya is my flagship, now in fourth revision since 2015. The latest version, V423, has more resolution than the previous models and more powerful, clear bass. Imaging is a strong suit of this amplifier, including depth, a little like a good tube amp.

Hugh

Reactions: 2 users
A stupid question Hugh as I'm thinking out aloud and as you know my knowledge in this area is limited. If the rail voltage was lowered it could possibly be stable with 4R loads but of course the 8R output would also reduce. To achieve 125W into 4R I imagine would require a redesign of component values and probably would not sound the same. I've done this with Chipamps in the past and discussed this with Anthony Holton on one of his amps.

These days there are more 4R speakers around and becoming the norm. I remember my ASKA 55 would handle speakers with impedance that fell as low as 3R6 without issues where some commercial amps would go into protection mode.

In fact you will hardly find a speaker with 8 ohm complex impedance. Even so called 8 ohm speakers usually have impedance dips below 4 ohm. Any serious amplifier must handle 4 ohm nominal impedance and must be designed to handle impedance dips to at least 3 ohm. Investigation of SOA of output transistors with complex load is needed.

The Maya modules, with heatsinks, are $AUD3200, which is $USD2145. The modules include power supplies (two, each of 65V rails, but needing a 300VA with two 45Vac independent secondaries). The Maya is my flagship, now in fourth revision since 2015. The latest version, V423, has more resolution than the previous models and more powerful, clear bass. Imaging is a strong suit of this amplifier, including depth, a little like a good tube amp.

Hugh

Dear Hugh,

that is indeed a bit above the budget I initially envisioned but I do appreciate quality so I will try to save the extra euros needed in the coming months. I hope to get back to you within a few months and read up in this forum in the mean time. It has been a long time ago I built my last amp. (Modified Elektor LFA 50 OA, optimised class A).
Thanks for the info,
Ed

I've been reading about your work with great interest. I'm considering building the Aspen Titan as a replacement for my Class D Amps. My loudspeakers based on the ScanSpeak Illuminator seem to be a bit too revealing for a Class D amp so I'm looking for a bit more natural sounding Amp to build.
I'm just puzzled by what you mean with the following sentence:

Can you tell us which class D amplifier you have? Before buying or building a speaker, especially if it costs money, it is very convenient to know the frequency response, impedance/phase... to know that it is well designed (it does not mean that it sounds good).

Can you tell us which class D amplifier you have? Before buying or building a speaker, especially if it costs money, it is very convenient to know the frequency response, impedance/phase... to know that it is well designed (it does not mean that it sounds good).
Hypex NCore 400 Monoblocks. They do sound good, tight low end and very dynamic, just a tad bit too analytical in combination with the Scan Speak Illuminators for my taste.
I powered this speakers originally with my aforementioned Elektor LFA50-OA which is a more traditional power amp based on Ring Emitter Bipolar transistors, which was a better match.
Of course I listened to the speakers before building them, Speakerland have a showroom where you can listen to all available models before you buy the kits.
The Mini Monotor is a great design with unbelievable soundstage, just not great marriage with the Ncores.