New anniversary FR-speaker Pioneer PE-101A (10cm, like Fostex FX)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi VU,

I have used the FX120 and F120A. On the Fostex website, the identical ported enclosure is recommended for both drivers and the T/S parameters are quite similar with Qms being the only significant difference. Even the frequency response is very similar with the FX120 showing a bit flatter and more extended on the high end.

I guess I'm a bit puzzled why the FX120 would be suitable and the F120A would not.... but I'm not the speaker design guy.

Regards, KM

Vlauga said:
Hi, KM!

Front horn will raise the intensity below 1000 Hz.

Why do we need to F120A? Is F120A does not sound natural here?

BW, VU

OK, I think I'll have to call you on that - while I never got a chance to hear them stock, I can attest that the Bud Purvine treated F120A in a custom designed resistively vent enclosure was one of the most natural and well balanced small fullrange drivers I've yet heard. In comparison, it certainly makes the FE126 sound more than a bit shouty and forwardly dynamic, as in "lap dance anyone?" (not that I would necessarily refuse one of those)

Granted, it's sensitivity and excursion limits when run full range won't satisfy everyone, but it can be eminently satisfying within it's comfort zone.

Chris, VU

First (Chris), I think it's time to upgrade your soundcard and speakers.... :D

Okay, back to the topic... I guess I'm not clear here, is the general view (pun intended) that the F120A won't work in the mini-VOTT while the FX120 will or is considered overkill or just bad sound?

I've found the F120A to be a drop-in replacement for the FX120 in a ported enclosure (Fostex things so too). So I don't think it should be a problem in the mini-VOTT either.

I also agree 110% on the FE126E... they tend to shout.... but mine have never shouted "Lap Dance"!

Regards, KM

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
kmaier said:
First (Chris), I think it's time to upgrade your soundcard and speakers....

He was probably at work... he has access to using a KingRex T20U + µFonken at home (if i do say so myself, one of the best combos available for 'puter sound.

... I guess I'm not clear here, is the general view (pun intended) that the F120A won't work in the mini-VOTT while the FX120 will or is considered overkill or just bad sound?

I treat these 2 drivers the same as far as box design goes (the only diff being the cutout for the driver holey brace)

My gut is that the mini-VOT is purely nostalgia, and not an optimum design.

I also agree 110% on the FE126E... they tend to shout.... but mine have never shouted "Lap Dance"!

The issues with the FE126 can be greatly ameriolated, i'm doing up a fresh set (grey w black spots) as it is time to revist the A126 and to start playing with the StealthWoofer on the Frugel-Horn.

dave

Hi, guys!

(the answer a question on the question, KM))

You think that F120A is not balanced in the range of 200-1000 Hz?
To make sounds F120A better, than sounding F120A?
FX120 is less mature in that range. Therefore, for these units is possible front horn. This is just opinion.
It is necessary to start trying. :xeye:

BW, VU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.