New A-75

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes Bob, I think you are right about positioning.
The speakers were not in what I would call a decent position .It was along the longer wall of the room. It was also about 5 feet away from the rear wall and the speaker closest to a side wall was about 7 feet away from the side . The two units were about 6 feet apart.
The room was about 16 feet x 22 feet.
Cheers.

Regarding my low bias point, I just pulled out my scope and confirmed that I generally stay well within my amp's class A operating zone. It's about as loud as I can stand for any length of time when the peaks are mostly under 5V (~9 ohm load). Some peaks, like the drum solo in the beginning of "Money for Nothing" occasionally blow out of this range to 12-15V, though most stay under 10V. I have a small room and moderately efficient speakers, so YMMV.

BobEllis said:
It's about as loud as I can stand for any length of time when the peaks are mostly under 5V (~9 ohm load). Some peaks, like the drum solo in the beginning of "Money for Nothing" occasionally blow out of this range to 12-15V, though most stay under 10V. I have a small room and moderately efficient speakers, so YMMV.

Wow, you make me feel like a wild child. I used to kick mine in the backside pretty good and my TL's loved me for it. Unreal sounding at close to 70 watts output. Measured at just under 25 volts with a 6 ohm load. It used to tick off my neighbors but the guys down at the studio looked at me like I was a god when they found out I built it. Nelson is right, amps that will drive under 1 ohm are really cool.

:bigeyes: :D

I have since torn it down and parted it out for other things. I like to build them and listen for a while and then move on. The only ones I really let hang around are the tube ones. I have one of Gabevees circuits out in the shop that I play all the time. I am putting together one of the Zen Lites right now to try that out and I will use three 300 watt bulbs per device just like the mad one himself ;) BBBWWWAAAHHHAHAHAHAH

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.