• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

New 6L6GC Project. DC -> LTP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
a thing of beauty, well done!!!!

I see you are using coax for the run from the rear rca sockets to the front volume control, ever considered using a thicker gauge copper core coax?

The center conductor looks a little on the thin side, rg-59?

Not that it matters much.

It just seems to be a bit of a waste to have so much copper bus running around and then use cheap grade coax for the run to the front volume control.

Last edited:
a thing of beauty, well done!!!!

I see you are using coax for the run from the rear rca sockets to the front volume control, ever considered using a thicker gauge copper core coax?

The center conductor looks a little on the thin side, rg-59?

thanks very much! basically that coax was what i had on hand, i think it was from an old oscilloscope probe lead, so i figured it had to be well shielded. probably overkill. the conductors are indeed tiny but i can't imagine it would make a difference at the tiny signal current at the input..?

thanks very much! the conductors are indeed tiny but i can't imagine it would make a difference at the tiny signal current at the input..?

I wouldn't spend too much on getting some proper coax, but I work on the idea that if something makes a difference and I assume that it won't but it does then I have lost out on an opportunity to improve the sound quality, and for the cost of a few dollars worth of coax, thats a small price to pay for my peace of mind.

Nobody here I think will tell you that by going to a larger copper conductor will make a difference, its a personal preference of mine as I am moving all of my rca connections over to BNC and RG-6 Quad shield coax (not copper coated steel, pure copper.) which has an 18 AWG center conductor.

By removing one last slim remote possiblity of there being a change or reduction on the sound quality by going to BNC and RG-6 Quad for a few dollars I am ensuring that the signal gets the best possible chance to make it into that tube and be amplified.

I'm not the type of person to go out and buy $50,000 dollar cables, RG-6 Quad pure copper core is where I draw the line and I cut and crimp my own BNC RG-6 cables.

If I can prevent $50 from going to corrupt cable companies by promoting the use of home-made BNC and RG-6 quad then my work is done, $50 could get you 100 metres of rg-6 and 6 or more bnc rg-6 connectors.

But then again as you said its what you had laying around.

Last edited:
One of the Chinese 6L6GCR's blew. Now I've got a quad of JJ/Tesla 6L6GC's singing along and all is well. Still contemplating some global feedback but things are sounding pretty Ok without.

final schematic, using 1.5a slow blow fuses
euTB5.jpg

Be careful of the phase of the output transformer. Otherwise you will have positive feedback to the cathodes, instead of negative feedback.

The ratio of 1/2 primary (1650 Ohms) to 4 Ohms of winding is about 20, which will feedback about about 5% of the 1/2 primary voltage.
Suppose the basic Ultra Linear gain stage is about 10, with the cathode feedback that would be 50%; that could be perhaps about 6 dB negative feedback.
(I think I got that calculation right).

Good to know. Did you ever collect any performance measurements on this project?
unfortunately not.. if i had a scope handy i'd have taken a look. but beyond getting a circuit together that a majority on the forums approve of, i'm happy to sit back and listen to some music.

Be careful of the phase of the output transformer. Otherwise you will have positive feedback to the cathodes, instead of negative feedback.

The ratio of 1/2 primary (1650 Ohms) to 4 Ohms of winding is about 20, which will feedback about about 5% of the 1/2 primary voltage.
Suppose the basic Ultra Linear gain stage is about 10, with the cathode feedback that would be 50%; that could be perhaps about 6 dB negative feedback.
(I think I got that calculation right).
thanks for the calculation! i'm pretty sure i got it right, after all, with those Edcors everything is clearly labelled and color coded.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.