New 15" full range - FANE

They are just temporarily mounted to my 3cm thick oak baffles where the Beta15A's used to be. Going for ca 80 liter sealed boxes, just have to build them first.

Edit:
They are very firm and need some "flex exercise", will get to it tomorrow. But it's really nice to hear that no-xo sound from these, very dynamic and "live".

Last edited:
But it's really nice to hear that no-xo sound from these, very dynamic and "live".

I prefer the simple approach with just full range drivers and no crossovers.
I used to run a mobile disco and just used four Fane 12-50WRMS speakers with no crossovers. It sounded great and was very loud when needed.

I now have a box with two Fane 12-250TC. These are pretty much the same as the Fane 15's with the same triple cone setup except they are 12 inch.
They will be pretty much the same SPL as the 15's as they have a longer xmax.

Just 50cm wide and some ca 15 cm wings on the back, so it's a small U baffle.
It's going to be firewood when I sell the 10" coaxial and the beta15's.

Can not imagine the Fane 12" being better than the 15" in the treble, but I have not heard the 12". It can compete with the Radian on the Sterling driver, not as smooth, but more natural sound.
The Fane 15" really needs a stiff front baffle, because the frame can sing through the cone, tried tapping on various places around the unit before and after it was mounted. It's dead silent on the baffle though, but that's not a surprise, really stiff thick oak.

Last edited:
Too early for any listening impressions, will just say that off axis response is VERY good. If this was a blind test I would never have guessed it was a single 15".

This was my experience with the Audio Nirvana 15". Those whizzer cones really do a good job of ensuring adequate dispersion at the high-end. Not everyone speaks kinds of whizzer cones but they sure beat the hell out of beaming treble.

But it's a bit strange, I think it was some Audio Nirvana 10" I had years ago, they had a lot of beaming, my sweetspot was +/-15cm in each direction, could not move my head at all. The MA 10.2 has treble, but if you go a little bit off axis you lose a lot of detail, the strong sounds are still there, but the subtle details just vanish. The TB W5-1611 are pretty good all rounders but they do not have the really low level details either. I dare say that the top end is not far very off the Seas FU10RB, but the Seas win on quality. The Fane probably wins on SPL and "immersion"=not flat freq response but a sense of being there because the amount of low level detail. And the treble is really good.

Edit:
There might be some issues in ca 1500-2000 hz when listening 45 degrees off axis, but I do not think there is an issue on the +/-15 to 20 degrees. Treble at 45 degrees is not a problem.

Last edited:
COOL ! - whomever designed that and the 12 knows some tricks. My AN10 ferrite were out of spec from the beginning. My AN8 ferrite were in spec for a while, then after a few years, the black surround damping goop stiffened, raising fs a half octave and qts up to ~0.38. Maybe turpentine would loosen things again (?)

Last edited:
I think many PA loudspeaker units are no nonsense assemblies of basic parts, designed and tuned based years of experience and high volume. I have no doubt the talent is there with the more boutique fullrange companies, but they are x generations/iterations behind. I currently DIY with the Ciare CH250 and it looks so simple, basic frame, cone, whizzer, small magnet, but the unit/system performs very well. You can't assemble a multiway set of drive units and crossover parts/DSP that outperforms it for the price, although to outperform it going multiway makes more sense. That's probably the niche of the 12" and this 15" Fane fullrange as well. They put together something that works and is the cheapest way to achieve that level of performance. I am VERY curious about it.

... I've tried taking some measurements, and asked everyone to be quiet for the duration, you know just before pressing the button in REW and giving an "all ok" after the sweep. It's just under 30 seconds including a quick "check levels" and "wait for timing reference".

The kids where quiet enough, but the Lady of the house could not accomplish this simple task... Even though we woke her up with omelette breakfast, coffee and well behaved kids.

With this in mind, in addition to the sub-optimal baffle and absolutely rubbish room placement, please ignore the results under 1khz. Done the sweeps 3 times, had to do it a bit too close to limit reflection about 40 cm so there might be some artifacts that do not exist further out., and the results over 1khz are reasonably consistent. The v2 picture is the most accurate. V1 is with some EQ.

Maybe I can take one out to the porch in the evening after bed time and connect my laptop and borrow the TPA3116 from the kids room. Only have a measurement mic that came with a Yamaha RX-V681, but better than nothing. A good mic is on my wish list of things to give to myself, maybe in a few months.

Edit:
Forgot to add both pictures.

Edit:
Added very basic EQ curve from the V1 measurement picture.

Attachments

• REW-FaneFC152_v1.jpg
    REW-FaneFC152_v1.jpg
    428.9 KB · Views: 886
  • REW-FaneFC152_v2.jpg
    REW-FaneFC152_v2.jpg
    467.1 KB · Views: 873
  • EQ curve.jpg
    EQ curve.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 857
Last edited:
Nevermind.
Not gonna do any measurements, they would be a real waste of time. Since there seems to be very limited ways to enter the correct settings into REW manually and I have no proper measurement mic with calibration files it's completely worthless.

I have some uncalibrated microphones, and a decent enough soundcard (Steinberg/Yamaha UR28M). Will order a mic and some other stuff in two weeks.

I have a double magnet CH250 = beautiful on vocals - might have been the best of my FR in that dept (?) - I should put the Fane 12 back into a Karlson K12 and take some measurements - there was zero boom with the distributed port nearly blocked with Dacron - also zero low bass :D

I bit the bullet and got a Umik-1.
Here's the vanilla response with the sub-optimal baffle and the rubbish room placement. 5db/division.

Edit:
Will not make proper measurements outside until 1. it stops snowing and 2. the sealed box is finished.
But then I expect flat response below 1khz also.

Attachments

• FC152 vanilla.jpg
    FC152 vanilla.jpg
    448.9 KB · Views: 778
Last edited:
Hi,
I haven't heard the Fane, but I have heard the Audio Nirvana Classic 15 Alnico.
It goes up to 16K without a whizzer cone, and sounds great!
I have been dying to try it in an open baffle setup.
Mark

I have the driver in a large (48 x 20 OB) and this is my last speaker ever. I still augment with a pair of 12-inch OB Peerless drivers but for me, this is IT. Huge soundstage, amazing speed and transparency, excellent depth due to OB).

A supertweet would cure the only minor issue of slight beaming. This setup truly makes my old MarkAudio and Fostex drivers sound like toys.