New 10'' FR driver found

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It really looks live a clever design:)

Regards,

Vincula

Hi Vincula,

thanks for the flowers!

OK, let´s start with the TSP and impedance sweep, first and second attached document. Both units are lightly burned in, for sure further changes will occur with more burn-in.

Both units are not too far off from each other, and are also not too far off from manufacturer´s data, which is a good sign as well.
Interesting is the clear (albeight slightly different) resonance at 9,5 kHz, this is the whizzer. All else seems relatively well controlled, we shall see later with frequency sweeps, just have to remount the drivers.

The third document shows the impact of the different data to the AJ-Horn simulations,

black=manufacturer
green=no. 1
red=no. 2
also results are quite OK either.

All the best

Mattes

Attachments

• Xizi Fast 5 No. 1.doc
    132 KB · Views: 88
  • Xizi Fast 5 No. 2.doc
    132 KB · Views: 70
  • Xizi Fast 5 TML different TSP.pdf
    35 KB · Views: 98
Hi Perceval,

sure the flowers... sometimes they´re off duty, if there are changes which need some time, like last month, when I travelled to France again (by train, due to weight of drivers... 19 hours to go there, 16 to come back) to get a small update on my drivers...

All the best

Mattes

I'm sure it was cheaper to travel with the drivers than shipping them! I looked at getting these drivers to my home, but they only have one shipping option on Aliexpress, and it's an extra $265. Yikes!

Kinda strange since they don't have far to travel.

Getting them from the Xizi website is $65. Much better.

But, after seeing your measurements, I think I'll pass and put my efforts in my existing pair of TB, and my upcoming SBAcoustics.

About the Lii Audio 10 inch drivers.

recieved them last week.
Made new center boards for my PAP trio 15 neo set.

Re-voicing my Leonidas XO took about 5 minutes :)

I fell in love with this driver almost instantly !!

Integration is very good in this setup!!

If you have the oppertunity : listen to them in a decent config.

Too early now to say more. So maybe later.

Some pictures of the set.

sinc. Leon

Attachments

• P1050059.jpg
    P1050059.jpg
    423.7 KB · Views: 400
  • P1050061.jpg
    P1050061.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 391
  • P1050062.jpg
    P1050062.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 394
@ perceval :

No measurements.
I just do things different.
And I will not explain how and what I do.

sinc. Leon.

Then you will not mind if I take your findings with a grain of salt since there's a good chance you and I don't like the same things.

But, in 2019, it's a little strange to not believe in measurements....

This is DIYAudio, so, if you just come here and say "Oh my God, these are the best drivers!" and don't feel like sharing the data to prove your point with others, then what's the point?

I have plenty of that on FaceBook... don't need it here.

@perceval, the problem is that data doesn't tell you how a driver sounds. You can have a driver that measures perfectly but sounds like ****, and a driver that measures not perfectly but sounds brilliant. As Leonidas is de developer of the Leonidas XO for Pure Audio Project, believe me, he knows a thing or two about drivers. You don't have to agree with me.

If there is something that I have learned in life, than it would be that there is more to life than absolute values. Every driver is different, every room is different, everybodys ears are different, everbody listens differently. This makes every review biased before it is even written. Thats why Leon is saying that if you have a change, go and listen to the driver!

I can ask the developer if they have sold some drivers to Taiwan if you like?

Sure, when people focus on the frequency response only.

But, when combined with impulse and step response, if all three look good, I'll bet you that it will sound great.

Too few people, or company, look at the impulse and step response when designing their speakers.

I liked the statement from Dunlavy when he said he designs a XO looking at the step response first, then worry about the FR.

As you said, every driver, room, ears are different... but even Leon had to use a mic to come up with his XO.

Last week been listening to the Lii Audio 10 inch , as a mid/high driver in OB.
You can do without tweeter , which is great for a 10 inch.
THis morning I added a horizontal tweeter with diffuser sphere.

Integration is VERY easy :)

Stereo image improved by numbers :)
Also the sound image was deeper.

I only post for those who like my findings.
If they are not usefull for your way of thinking : please skip my posts !!

sinc. Leon

Attachments

• DSC_0550.jpg
    DSC_0550.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 433
  • DSC_0553.jpg
    DSC_0553.jpg
    410.1 KB · Views: 436
Sure, when people focus on the frequency response only.

But, when combined with impulse and step response, if all three look good, I'll bet you that it will sound great.

There are more than that to determine loudspeaker performance and sound signature. E.g. cone profile, VC former material, mechanical resistance...

Very often i hear ultra flat response loudspeaker but sound signature is ultra boring... Even on a SET Amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.