• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Neurochrome HP-1: Ultra-High End Headphone Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Produced in Canada HP-1 is not a lowest discount unit seen with global eyes where that Massdrop THX AAA 789 looks hard to beat especially on cost, don't know if its a competition on most lowest or most impossible lowest numbers because as is HP-1 is great performer but as THX did then guess Tom could also draw the "Feedforward" card down the road.

Below is power amp about year 1980-83 of feedforward marketing from Sansui : )
attachment.php

Attachments

• 1000.PNG
    1000.PNG
    164.1 KB · Views: 558
I expect this will be no contest in favor of the HP-1....and it shouldn't be. I believe there is a significant difference in price.

I just realized I had a big typo. ".......and it should be no contest."

I have read a review on the Massdrop THX model which indicated that it is very good, however, I will be shocked if it is comparable to the HP-1....and if its even close I will probably buy one just so I can see for myself.

No doubt the THXAAA-788 and -888 are strong contenders for headphone amps ... assuming the surrounding circuitry is up to the task as well. As with DACs, there are many ways to screw up excellent IC performance with mediocre external circuitry. I have no evidence that should be the case for the Massdrop model. I'm merely pointing out that such things happen and that circuit design at -150 dB THD and 133 dB SNR is a significant challenge.

I'm looking forward to the review.

Either way, both the HP-1 and THXAAA are limited by the supply voltage, so HifiMan HE-6 owners will still want more power. :)

Tom

These are the three chassis colours offered. Graphite Grey is the standard, in stock, and on sale at $199 for the chassis $999 for the fully assembled amp. That's $250 in savings on the fully built amp.

The Gentian Blue and Carmine Red are special order. They're also on sale (same price as the Graphite Grey), but the lead time is 2-3 weeks.

You can find them here: HP-1: Ultra-High End Headphone Amp | Neurochrome :: Audio

Tom

Attachments

• HP-1_ASSY_BL_Front.jpg
    HP-1_ASSY_BL_Front.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 295
  • HP-1_ASSY_BL_Rear.jpg
    HP-1_ASSY_BL_Rear.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 298
  • HP-1_ASSY_GY_Front.jpg
    HP-1_ASSY_GY_Front.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 293
  • HP-1_ASSY_GY_Rear.jpg
    HP-1_ASSY_GY_Rear.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 300
  • HP-1_ASSY_RD_Front.jpg
    HP-1_ASSY_RD_Front.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 289
  • HP-1_ASSY_RD_Rear.jpg
    HP-1_ASSY_RD_Rear.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 64
Actually... Rather than discontinuing the chassis, I put them back as special order items. So if you need a chassis for your HP-1 board, you can get one. I'll have to order them at QTY = 1 from the manufacturer, which will drive up the cost significantly. I'll probably end up selling them at cost, which is OK if they help move the remaining boards.

I have six boards left and a short stack of assembled amps for those who'd like to skip the SMD soldering step.

Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.