Nerd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There is a lot of ignorance about sound, even professionals aren't taught apparently, how many TV presenters don't know what a microphone does and think they have to shout into it, put them outside and it's worse, females seem to do it more than males, give them a nasal American east coast accent and it's an aural assault

Isn't "nerd" the word they use to keep us down?

As a Dutchman I don't care; it's a Dutch tradition that dates back to the sixteenth century to use terms that others use to insult you as if they had a positive connotation. If you do it long and massively enough, they automatically get a positive connotation. In Dutch we call this a geuzennaam.

In the 1970's, the Jamaican toaster Big Youth did exactly the same with this song: YouTube

Yes, a nerd used to be the kid at school who wore grandpa glasses, had pens and paper in his shirt pocket, was a social misfit and got beat up a lot.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

I got good grades in high school and took the nerdiest classes like analytic geometry and introduction to physics. This was in a high school where they graduated hundreds of illiterates every year. In fact flunking and ignorance were badges of honor.

I got the snot beat out of me multiple times every single day. If you weren't in a gang then you were dead meat. I finally took self defense classes. I beat up one bully, one time, in front of a bunch of his knuckle dragging friends. No one ever bothered me again or even said anything to me.

I couldn't wait to leave that neighborhood. My father tried to force me to go to Notre Dame so he could keep tabs on me. I went to SIU, which was as far as I could get from Chicago.

Half the people I knew in high school were either dead or imprisoned for life by the time they were 40. The other half did all right and I still keep in touch with my high school buddies.

geek: an unfashionable or socially inept person;

nerd:an intelligent, single-minded expert in one field or profession.

At least that is what my dictionary says on the distinction.

I understand that nerds are frequently also geeks but not all nerds are geeks and geeks are not necessarily nerds.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.