Neil Young's new CD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anti-Semites Beethoven and Wagner "coded" their music to instil hatred for Jews. Those "coded" parts contain no harmonies. Those non-harmonic parts evidently sounded so horrendous to the contemporary ears, people left the music halls angered wanting to punch a Jew in the face.

If the critics had had any say, everybody today would have been sitting around some church organ listening to Bach. Anyone that says music is synonymous with harmony and melody has nothing to offer the living.

Now I'm going to wash my hands and spin Bomb the Twist with the 5. 6. 7. 8's so I can get rid of the stench of death.

Wow, Brittany Spears and Neil Young mentioned in the same thread, who would of ever seen that coming. They are about as diametrically opposed as you can get. I realize most of Neil's music after "After the Gold Rush" and "Harvest" is difficult for the masses to accept. That was the plan, as he left it (commercialization) for the "ditch" of his next 3 album releases of "Zuma", " Tonight's the Night", and "On the Beach". These were the raw emotional output of an artist trying to deal with the fame and personal losses that he was experiencing. But in hindsight these have become the artististic gems for most people who get it.
SY and others you have made your point that you think NY is ****, but you continue posting negatively as if you're going to convince others to agree. So as Neil said it best "you're just p***ing in the wind".

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Jeez, Neil Young has more musical talent than most and is more VITAL than anyone around today. Yah, I love his stuff, as do many, around the world. He is a national treasure. Music and words that seem initially simple reveal more and more as you listen to it. One of the few who's music does not become tiring upon repeated listening. He has become a great acoustic guitar player, and his electric playing, while seemingly simple, is all emotion (especially live!). His songs have generally refected the both the important things and the small things that are happening at that point in his life, whether they be war or the love of his wife and children. His words pose viewpoints from all sides, making us think and come to our own conclusions. His words reflect the conscience of a man, and of mankind. Living with War is brilliant. Live music is better!!!!!

People hate everything that's new or different. That's the very reason critics always are wrong.

Black American music was considered too excessive by white America back in the 1950s. Louis Armstrong fared no better in Sweden, where one reviewer compared him to an ape with a growling voice and no musical talent whatsoever! So the record industry had to create 3rd rate hacks like Pat Boone and 1st rate hacks like Elvis.

It has always been that way. Michelangelo could hardly score a commission because he was too radical, too far ahead of his time. Today he is compared to contemporaries da Vinci and Raphael, like if he had anything in common with those bores! People hired da Vinci and Raphael because they gave them exactly what they asked for. No surprises. Michelangelo might have started out as a renaissance artist but was in fact the first mannerist.

If people can compare da Vinci and Raphael to Michelangelo with a straight face, then there should be no problem comparing Neil Young to Michelangelo. I love what Michelangelo did. I couldn't care less about da Vinci and Raphael. Their stuff bore the hell out of me. They never existed for all I care.

To make a great piece of art in any medium takes a tremendous amount of courage, sacrifice and trust within yourself, a need to express what is burning from within without accepting ‘any’ compromises from outside sources. It is quite the lonely experience and tragic if it fails. However, if successful, the ‘piece’ will be able to take on a life of its own and stand the test of time.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for any artist who through the decades remains true to himself and has the scars of all the sacrifices it took to keep creating at his full potential, an artist like Neil Young is a good example of a life devoted to creating and staying true to himself, come what may.

It seems we have become a throw away society as a whole. Seen this, done that! That was good once but show me something new.

My wife and I saw Bobby Blue Bland last night in a tiny nightclub in Phoenix called The Rhythm Room. Bobby who influenced the Blues in America and became one of the inspiration for the the changing rock scene in the sixties was in his seventies, his 10 piece band had to hold back to keep from dominating his vocals, he was frail, but he loved being there. We were so close that you could spot him smiling to himself when he heard a note that pleased him. The crowd loved him and made a point of proving it at every junction of his performance, they sang w/ him because they knew all the words to his songs, the woman next to us saw him at The Apollo when she was a child and had to see him again.

That will happen for Neil as well but certainly not for Brittney.

SY, I take your word for it.

But I do have a major issue with these things. I have seen all too many people being scoffed at, like director King Hu, for doing something own or being ahead of their time.

Also, usually being the minority voice probably makes me a bit rabid and defensive. I'm well aware of that. But being aware doesn't help all the time.

anatech said:

Like I said. You either love the guy, or really hate his music. There seems to be no in between at all.

He would be a lot more palatable to me if he had some musical talent.

-Chris

Hi Chris,
I enjoy music of all kinds especially new music. I believe some of the best music ever is being recorded in this decade. I'm in audio as hobby mainly to support my love for music. But I hold NY dear to my heart as use him mainly as a touchstone linking the past and present. As for talent or lack thereof I don't think I'm qualified to determine that. But perhaps a list of other artists that have been influenced by him and hold him in great regard could qualify.
Lucinda Williams, Jeff Tweedy and Wilco, Cowboy Junkies, Dave Matthews, Pixies, Nirvana, Dinosaur Jr., Sonic Youth, Emmylou Harris, Beck, Giant Sand, Mojave 3, Dolly Parton, KD Lang and more.

Lots of good music out there...

There really is a huge amount of good music being produced, and I hope most of us are going out, once in a while, and supporting live music venues. It has been a sad thing, here, in Salt Lake City, where we lost the two best music clubs downtown and all the good music has moved up to the mountains, and ski resorts. This has increased prices, the sound is Horrible, and no one wants to drive an hour up mountain canyons on a work night and drive back at 1 or 2 A.M.
New York City has had some great summer programs offered, Central Park Summerstage, and World Music in Brooklyn.

Back to Neil Young...I'm a big fan, but I don't like the fact that Neil doesn't feel terribly inclined to make a completely good record. Lots of FILLER in there. And I have not played TRANS, or ReAction, in ten years easy...
The diversity of music and artists makes it all entertaining. Just like all the diy ideas presented on this forum. There is more than one way to
skin a cat, you PETA fiends! Though I will not sit and listen to one second of Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music ever, ever again. Life is too short. But his other stuff....
Listening right now to Bobby Lounge, from Louisiana's Abita Springs.
Catch his "Iron Lung Tour" this spring...
http://bobbylounge.com/index.htm

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi infinia,
I grew up in the late 60's and 70's. I am spoiled by all the excellent music that came out then. The 80's had so cool stuff too.

A few good things coming out now. Not that much. In my view, NY attempts to capture to revolution of the time. Failing.

His inspired guitar playing is merely him "wigging out" on his guitar. He attacks it instead of playing it. The music greats can make a guitar sing. Most musicians would allow someone who could hold a note do the singing.

I see the shadow he is trying to catch, saw him while the shadow was real. He is trying to be something he is not in my view. That is why I find him so annoying.

That's just my taste.

-Chris

LuckyLindy,
Thanks for the Bobby Lounge link. Looks to be loads of of fun in a live venue. Too bad about NO though, never to have the same flavor again, post Katrina. Listened to him on NPR, "Sometimes the wrong note can scratch that certain itch just right". Pity he doesn't seem to tour much.

Chris,
As we are about the same age, I'm sure we have other music we could agree on. But for Neil as the old cliche goes "you can lead a horse to water......."
Peace

infinia said:
...Too bad about NO though, never to have the same flavor again, post Katrina...
Peace

Don't bet on it! I just got back from New Orleans. Yes, it will be years, but the progress in the 6 weeks since my last visit was impressive. My bet is that it will end up better than before.

As for Neil, I must be getting older, as I find the politics in his current music annoying. :rolleyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.