negative feedback

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
sesebe said:
Even if the signal travel the feedback loop în nanoseconds, the time needed to travel the amplifiers stage are not short, it's needed handred on nanoseconds. So all the time the feedback will correct a signal that is already gone.
At some point in every feedback discussion someone says something like this. It is nice to know that a technique used widely in industry and biology cannot possibly work, so we are all deluded.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
At some point in every feedback discussion someone says something like this. It is nice to know that a technique used widely in industry and biology cannot possibly work, so we are all deluded.

Saw a nice demonstration of feedback (and it limitations) today, here at the beach. You know these hoverboards (well they really are a Segway minus the stick), you just step on it and by leaning forward or backward, or sideways, you steer it. The internal negative feedback attempts - and succeeds! - to keep the center of gravity above the center of the board. They are so smooth, and completely still when not moving, if gives you a great appreciation of what feedback can do when well implemented.

But today it went wrong. One unit was ridden by a very obese girl with most of the weight located around and above the waistline. I saw her several times just keel over, for no apparent reason. She would smoothly move past where I was having my beer, then all of a sudden the system would slow unexpectedly and she would drop to the ground. Several times.

I have been thinking about how this could be and I think maybe the point of gravity was too high and the current slew limit to the motors was exceeded. But maybe it is something else, I don't really know. But very interesting (except for the girl).

Edit: could also simply have been an fault in the control unit of course.

Jan

No, my friend. It gives a pretty fine square wave. Several decades ago, I used an early At386 to decode RTTY transmissions over SW band. I received it via a SW tube receiver, and a simple 741 open loop receiving it signal, and powered from ±12V from the serial port acting a simple squarer. Then, a DOS program called HamCom decoded it via software. I listen (Bah, really read) lots of info via this method. Oh, pretty old times....

http://www.vu2fd.com/projects/images/hc/hamcom.pdf

I imagine that!

The good part îs that durrig these some hundred on nanoseconds the input signal îs not changing to much because a low pass input filtre and because a frequency range of the input signal.
If you are not agree than please show a RF multistage amplifier with a global feedback.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I imagine that!

The good part îs that durrig these some hundred on nanoseconds the input signal îs not changing to much because a low pass input filtre and because a frequency range of the input signal.
If you are not agree than please show a RF multistage amplifier with a global feedback.

You didn't understand his post. If almost everything in the world depends on feedback, jet fighters not crashing, tankers remaining afloat, nuclear plants not exploding, people not stopping to breath, everything literally depending on feedback, how can you then say 'it doesn't work'??

Jan

I did not say that.
If that was understood then it was not understood well.
In my last post I even explained way it still work.
The main idea is that the system and his feedback should be fast enought (maybe by ten's time faster ) that any perturbation that can apear.
If the perturbation is faster than the system, the result can be unexpected as in the example with the hoverboards when not the feedback but speed of the system was not enough to compensate the perturbation.

I'm not a fan of the no feedback amplifiers. I'm in searching of the fastest but stiil stable amplifiers.

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I did not say that.
If that was understood then it was not understood well.
In my last post I even explained way it still work.
The main idea is that the system and his feedback should be fast enought (maybe by ten's time faster ) that any perturbation that can apear.
If the perturbation is faster than the system, the result can be unexpected as in the example with the hoverboards when not the feedback but speed of the system was not enough to compensate the perturbation.

I'm not a fan of the no feedback amplifiers. I'm in searching of the fastest but stiil stable amplifiers.

OK yes I can agree to that.

Jan

Nothing new under the sun.
It's like the cars, their speed is low (when it's traffic jam for example) but when it turns green at the traffic lights from the moment when the first car starts and until the last car start, it takes very short time.

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> Speed of electrons in a wire is very low

We do not care about electrons. (There is a book which asserts they do not exist.)

We work on the electric field, which mostly moves near speed-of-light.

We don't deal with S-o-L in most electronics because Grace warned us. When she held up foot-long wires, computers were room-size, but far slower than nanoseconds. (My father was there.) As computers sped-up, they also shrank. The guy who came closest may have been Seymour Cray. Gate-chips packed close together in a circle, laid out so no critical path had to go very far. By contrast, a 11-inch NFB loop in an audio amplifier adds about 0.1% to the delay due to capacitances.

Admiral Grace Hopper was famous for her nanoseconds. She was a smart cookie. She would hold up a fistfull of foot-long pieces of wire, and explain that that was the limit on how far electricity could travel in one nanosecond. See her:
Admiral Grace Hopper Explains the Nanosecond - YouTube

Your NFB would likely travel even less distance.
When she is about to take the cable out of sac/bag I heard she says "microseconds" and "984 feet long".
Basicly that is the same with speed of light. :confused:

sesebe said:
Depends on what you mean by "faster". Most audio circuits have an open loop bandwidth which is much smaller than audio bandwidth. They work fine. Problems come when the genuine delay is large compared with signal times. This is why RF people often have to use predistortion. The crazy thing is that they would love to use NFB, but they can't, yet ignorant audio people then want to copy them and use predistortion when NFB would work much better.

Stability is what matters. Ideally, a vehicle should gracefully and safely fail when it cannot cope - not dump its passenger on the floor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.