Need to know a missing part in an amplifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently got an amp from a friend for free cuz he said it was missing an internal part but the problem is i dont know what the part is, so cud someone maybe help me out and tell me what it is, and where i might be able to get one

The amp is a Soundstream Picasso PCX1500D, and the part thats missing is labeled L304, there is a circle plate where it sits that is about the size of a 50 cne tpiece and there re 4 solder points where the wire posts would go, but any help would be appreciated

Thank You

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

You can jump the inductor out for low power testing. With the way the board is oriented in the first photo, you would jump from the top terminal to the bottom terminal. I'd suggest using fused jumper wires (5a fuse max). The fuses will help protect the amp if your board is different from the ones I have here.

The inductors vary but for the last one I had to rewind, each bundle of wires had six 21g wires. There were 14 turns for each winding (1 winding = six 21g wires). They wrap around the core as shown in the attached photo (notice that one comes from under the core and the other goes over the top before going into the board). On the opposite side of the core, the red comes from the top, down the outside of the core and then into the board. The green winding comes from under the core and into the board.

You can get a suitable core (or cores - 2 stacked) from cwsbytemark.com. Email them for core suggestions (T-130-26?). The inductance for each winding is 50uH.

Of course, if you can find a donor amp or can get one from soundstream, that would make things much simpler.

Attachments

• img_5856bx2.jpg
    img_5856bx2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 112
If you do wind one yourself, make sure you keep the windings tight at the top and bottom of the cores. If it is too high it will rub the inside of the bottom cover. And for a donor amp. It appears to be the same board as a Planet Audio product. This may be easier to find than your particular amp.

Looking through some amps I have here, I found a SS PCA2000D. It has a single wire for each winding. 11 turns each. The diameter appears to indicate that it's 13.5g. If you find that the wire stubs in the board are a single strand, your amp may have had an inductor like this one.

Attachments

• img_1325bx.jpg
    img_1325bx.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 110
ok im kind of dumb with technical terms and part names lol i just know how to install amps, but the fused jumper wire thing would that work and how exactly would you do that, and the other thing is i got 2 other amps with broken parts i just dont know wat i would be looking for in it

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.