• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Need to help to understand using 6x5 as half wave rect

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
… off track … but I prefer your “2 or 3 solid state rectifier diodes in series, with PIV 'sharing' resistors in parallel with each.”

They're easy to make, and to test before committing to circuit. And they're remarkably cheap. And safe. "Over-engineered to perfection." Personally, I like 1 watt 1 MΩ PIV balancing resistors. They do the job, and they don't leak enough to even marginally affect the power supply ripple. And the rectifiers last forever - even with power line zapping with local lighting storms.

GoatGuy

Posted together.

The series diodes should certainly work although the resistors would need to be 'voltage rated' as well as just being safe in terms of power dissipation.

It all seems very do-able.

Success, sort of :D
1st pic is the readings across C1 and C9, close enough to the 520 / 200 split.
2nd pic is the flying wires and SS rect string.
The biggest surprise was that the SS rect only gave me additional 40VDC or so, not anywhere near 800VDC. FWIW, the secondary was 578 VAC. Regardless, it is a happy result.

Edit, forgot the attachments.

Attachments

• IMG_20161001_142940.jpg
    IMG_20161001_142940.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20161001_142954.jpg
    IMG_20161001_142954.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
That's looking good. I wonder if the ripple across the caps is swaying the DVM reading. In the simulation there was around 20 volts pk/pk on the positive rail and 10 volts on the negative.

Mouser stocks the Rectron R5000F (5KV, 200mA) at $0.75 quantity one.

Not one I'm familiar with but it sounds as though it could suitable as long as the cap charging currents were within limits. They are only small caps but the peak diode current could be quite high. Worth looking at though.

Attachments

• Ripple.jpg
    Ripple.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 43
There is no doubt that the ripple is very high. The chance is good that the DVM reading is the average, not the peak to peak. Since I have SS diode now, I don't have the tube rect's input cap size constraint. I probably can increase the capacitance considerably to reduce the ripple .......

On the other hand, the small capacitance from the C1 and C9 stack is relatively small; therefore, the reversed voltage and the reversed current is not too big either.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
This is what the simulation shows for a ss diode and the peak diode currents. Adding some series resistance to the diode would tame this dramatically, as will the reality of real world components (the caps and their real world series impedance).

Attachments

• Current.PNG
    Current.PNG
    17 KB · Views: 36
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.