Need to build JC 2 preamp

Just change the output resistors to 20 ohms or so. You have too much resistance for the Gm of the output devices that you are using. Please understand, the E110 is a big fet, AND it is NOT made today. The E212 and the E175 are not made in the same package AND the better part, instead of the E212 is the J113 with 20 or more ma, Idss. You are using parts that do not resemble the original parts. SOME changes should be made, but NOT the change that you made. Please remember, this design is 37 years old.

Hi John,

What fet to complement the J113 ?

I changed R1 & R2 back to 100 Ohm
I also changed R11/R12/R13/R14 to 20 Ohm
Now the voltage of each resistors are as follows:

R1 = 0.82v
R2 = 0.81v
R3 = 4v
R4 = 4.73v
R5 = 21.3v
R6 = 0.23v
R7 = 0.23v
R8 = 0.23v
R9 = 0.23v
R10 = 0v
R11 = 0.075v
R12 = 0.075v
R13 = 0.075v
R14 = 0.075v

Vr4 + Vr5 = 26.03V. Bingo!
Vr1 + Vr2 = 1.63V. Bingo! Ir1 + Ir2 ~=16mA.

Never change a circuit value unless you can predict what the effect will be. Then, if the real and the prediction don't match up, you know that something is wrong.
If you cannot identify what is wrong because you can't make that prediction, you should not make that modification. Trial and error is not a way to design. But, it is a way to test an hypothesis and turn that into a theory.

After changed the resistors the bias current of the 2nd and output stages also changed. The current seems very low.

For the second stage this was to be expected. The output stage: Did you lower the source resistors (R11-14) already (I would try 10-20 Ohms) ?

Oops, just read it over, you did that already...

You could use higher Idss parts and even try to remove the source resistors alltogether like Erno Borbely does in his designs.

Last edited:
Thank you for the datasheet although I´m looking for a more detailed one (like those for 2SJ74 and 2SK170).
For the offset: I have a photo (I think you posted it if I´m not mistaken) which shows an offset of 62mV for an original module, so 80mV probably is not so bad. What value do you use for VR1 ?
The current of the output stages is too low anyway, higher Idss parts (and lower or no source resistors) will give more voltage drop across VR1 and thus more room for offset adjustment.
What voltage do you have from the gates of the source followers to ground ?

Thank you for the datasheet although I´m looking for a more detailed one (like those for 2SJ74 and 2SK170).
For the offset: I have a photo (I think you posted it if I´m not mistaken) which shows an offset of 62mV for an original module, so 80mV probably is not so bad. What value do you use for VR1 ?
The current of the output stages is too low anyway, higher Idss parts (and lower or no source resistors) will give more voltage drop across VR1 and thus more room for offset adjustment.
What voltage do you have from the gates of the source followers to ground ?

Hi gk7

Yes I sent you the photo which I got from a web page of a Japanese ML user. The value of VR1 is 100 Ohm as specified on the circuit.

I will try to use higher idss parts which John said better be higher than 20ma or lower the source resistors to get more current for the output stage. I will advice.

The voltage I have from the gates of the source followers to ground is 0.55v. Please comment.

Good HKC, now you have a WORKING design. I regret being so (me) in my correction to you, but I had to get your strict attention. AndrewT just gave some wise advice. Now, try 10 ohms for the output resistors, that should be best, IN THIS ONE CASE.

Hi John

I know AndrewT's advice is right so I am totally agree with him. All you guys advices are valuable and informative. I have to say thank you again. I got a lot of fun by doing this classic pre-amp.
I changed the output resistors to 10 Ohm and here below are the voltage measurements:

R1 = 0.82
R2 = 0.8
R3 = 3.99
R4 = 4.72
R5 = 21.3
R6 = 0.25
R7 = 0.25
R8 = 0.25
R9 = 0.25
R10 = 0
R11 = 0.385
R12 = 0.385
R13 = 0.385
R14 = 0.385

The 2nd stage and the output current seems still a bit too low. Please comment.

Hi kannan

I can send you a set of phono pcbs for stereo if you want. Let me know.

Hi HKC
I was away and did not notice your post - yes I am interested - more in the line stage PCB, please PM me.
I received an used working Vendetta Research SCP2A today! I may have to go back to that thread for John' update advice.

I will also be interested in GKC build of line stage - his comonent choice/pcb
kannan

Hi HKC
I was away and did not notice your post - yes I am interested - more in the line stage PCB, please PM me.
I received an used working Vendetta Research SCP2A today! I may have to go back to that thread for John' update advice.

I will also be interested in GKC build of line stage - his comonent choice/pcb
kannan

Hi kannan

Sorry I do not have extra pcb for the line stage but the phono amp. Please pm your shipping address if you are still interest.

Hi gk7,

today we have a lot of opamps options that can be used as servo.

What do you think to use a servo in this circuit ?

I was once built Fred Forssell's Dual Servo Pre. The amp sound much better without the servo op-amp plugged. So for self use at home I do not prefer to use servo.
Just my 2 cents.

Attachments

• GetAttachment 4.jpg
    GetAttachment 4.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 921
Thanks for the comments HKC.

I thought in the use of a servo because the Vendetta has one in two stages and do not require the use of capacitors in its outputs - direct coupling - and didn´t have any disapproval from it´s use. After all, if the JC-2 with the output capacitor is already very good, I thought maybe could be even better without that. Only this.

eD