Need suggestion for Center Chanel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd like to build a center channel for my HT using full range drivers. My box dimensions are set (box is built to fit inside a wicker basket - if you're married, you understand). 11w x 8h x 12d. Box volume is about 15 liters. I've got a cheapo MTM build in it now, and it's mediocre at best.

My only experience with full-rangers is a set of Cyburg's Needles I built with 3" TangBands. I'm sufficiently impressed with the sound that I want to experiment with the MarkAudio drivers. If I like them as a center channel, I could build a set of Pensils for the Left/Right mains.

The baffle will hold two CHP-70s. My Denon amp will drive the two in series for a 16 ohm load. Is this a reasonable thing to do? I'm not going for audiophile quality sound here. I want intelligible voices for home theater.

Sounds like a nice speaker Odougo but I think most agree that all 3 speakers across the front should be the same manufacturer, family and probably cone material. Planet10 has some ht boxes designed for chr-70s you might check out though they may need revision for the new generation.

How ironic that I'm asking for opinions about a particular MarkAudio driver, in the MarkAudio forum, and the recommendation is to go with a completely different two-way.

I've seen that HDS kit on Madisound, and I'm considering it as well. I suppose I'm willing to take one last (relatively cheap) stab at a full ranger. My question is, do folks who routinely use and endorse these drivers, think this is a reasonable application?

Hi ODougbo,
I've deleted your posts. This is the Markaudio forum for projects, ideas and recommendations using Markaudio drivers. Promoting other brands is not allowed.

Please note item 2 on this on this forum guide:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/196919-markaudio-forum-guide.html

Please fee free to join in the discussion on the basis of helping member Randallm with his ideas using CHP.

Thanks
Mark.

Last edited:
Hi Randallm,
Provided your Denon is up to taking the 16 ohm load on its centre channel (think it should be). Or wire them in parallel and add a 4 ohm resistor if you wish to stay 8 Ohm. Have you considered the CHR'70 Gen.3's?

The new CHP's are tuned to roll-off in the HF range, as requested by members who wanted a more "classic papery" sound. Not sure how this would pan out for centre channel HT use. Could be good as vocals will be well illustrated. Just wondering if you might want to take advantage of the extra bandwidth of the CHR's?

Certainly 15 litres sealed or vented will give you much scope for the centre output using either of these driver model in twins.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited:
I built this centre for a friend who had difficulty hearing voices clearly with his old speakers he bought at a big box store.

It's 3 second gen CHR-70 in series for 12 ohm (they were 4ohm, new CHR-70 are 8ohm). the enclosure is about 25L sealed. The odd shape is because his tv stands on top of it, and the Samsung TV base has that curvature.

He can not believe how much of an improvement there was for so little money, and I will be making matching towers before the snow flies. It actually bothers me to listen to his system right now, I can hear the original Polk towers oompah'ing their way along with the centre and I cringe. He generally watches TV and listens to music with the towers off right now.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Still need a recommendation

I appreciate the responses so far, but I'm afraid I biased the conversation by mentioning the CHP-70s I saw at Madisound for $36. They struck me as reasonable for two.

Here's my real question. I want to build a new HT center channel. I have a 15 liter box with an 8" high x 11" wide baffle, made of 3/4" baltic birch. Should I put 1 or 2 MarkAudio drivers in it? Which ones? My primary goal is intelligible home theater. If I like it, I'll build Left/Right mains from matching/similiar drivers. As a followup, will I need any sort of passive crossover/filter for the driver(s) in the center channel? My Denon 1911 can drive 6 - 16 ohm loads.

Randallm,

CHP and CHR is same price IIRC.

Did you check out the P10 Home Theatre Appendix section? If you like the design, you can ask Dave if CHP will work in same boxes.

BTW, I have made the Half-Towers (from the Micro Tower plans) with CHR-70 and using as left and right front channels with stereo amplifier (used both Tripath and ICE Power) - HUGE improvement over standard TV sound (not too surprised). Dialogue on movies/shows sounds so clear that I did not follow through with making the centre.

Hi Randallm,
The guys are steering you in the right direction. From the looks of your potential project (15 litres centre box for HT), the CHR's are likely the better choice. I don't wish to put you off the new CHP's but they were built to serve those members who wanted a "softer" top end. If this is your preference, then CHP's will be good. But its not a driver design that normally springs to mind for centres on HT. That is more the territory of new model CHR's due mostly its wide bandwidth.

One thought, the price from Madisound is just over US$70 for either pair of CHP or CHR. Could you buy both pairs, experiment, see which you prefer and sell on the redundant pair? At least you'll know which driver type suites your listening preference.

Its easy to make the box for either pair. Try to position them close together on the front baffle, 10-mm gap between the frames would be ideal. Keep it simple, sealed box is nice for centre as you wouldn't normally expect this box to handle low frequencies. Wire them in series as you amp can handle 16 Ohms. I'd also suggest making towers using 2 X CHR-70 for left/right front HT, wired them similarly. Could also do the rears the same way. AS a general guide for HT, use all the same drivers where practical. If you want allot of low end HT ummmmph, add a sub, but do this after you've got the main boxes for the system done. Depending on your towers, room gain conditions and your listening style, there may be enough low end from a sub-less system. Basically, its worth gradually experimenting.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited:
I would do a pair of CHR-70 in a sealed enclosure for sure. The centre I showed runs on a Denon AVR-791, I built a small sealed 10" subwoofer to go with it as well.

We're going to need pictures of this basket speaker when completed.:p

Last edited:
I've ordered the CHR-70s from Madisound. I'll take pictures when I get it put together. It's amazing how little difference the Wicker basket makes sonically, and how much difference it makes aethetically.

Tisonn, that center you built is beautiful. Great job with the curve. What a shame to hide the figure in that wood.

BTW, do I need any crossover/filter components? It sounds like I'm just wiring the amp directly to the drivers. Is this true?

Hi,
I'm looking at building my first FR speaker and adding some Pensil 10.2s to my home theater system. However, I will need a center channel.
Whats a good design for a center channel using the 10.2?
Should I stay with the 10.2 or go with a 7.3?
Maybe dual 7.3 like this:
http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/downloads/TwinA7-centre-plan-200710.pdf
Since I have a dedicated subwoofer already, could I stick with 7.3s all around and save some coin?

Sorry for all the questions,
Thanks!

Hi,
I'm looking at building my first FR speaker and adding some Pensil 10.2s to my home theater system. However, I will need a center channel.
Whats a good design for a center channel using the 10.2?
Should I stay with the 10.2 or go with a 7.3?
Maybe dual 7.3 like this:
http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/downloads/TwinA7-centre-plan-200710.pdf
Since I have a dedicated subwoofer already, could I stick with 7.3s all around and save some coin?

Sorry for all the questions,
Thanks!

I'd actually vote for the latter option - it can save a fair bit of space as well, which is sometimes a major factor, particularly for the center. I'm quite happy with original 7s for full front row and Alpair6M for rears - room is approx 340 sq ft, main seating position approx 60% from front wall.

Note that the new 7.3 has option for extra bezel flange, which adds 5mm in diameter and 1.5mm in depth if flush mounting, so some adjustments would be required to enclosure dimensions. For a small sealed box with High Pass via the HT receiver's bass management, "optimal" volume for bandwidth from the center channel is probably not as critical.

Thanks for the reply Chris.
I think I will start with a dual 7.3 for the center channel and 2 pensil 7.3s for the fronts.
What would be the optimal volume for 2 7.3s in a sealed design? Maybe I can tweak the volume of the design to accomodate as I have some room to spare in my setup.

Thanks for the reply Chris.
I think I will start with a dual 7.3 for the center channel and 2 pensil 7.3s for the fronts.
What would be the optimal volume for 2 7.3s in a sealed design? Maybe I can tweak the volume of the design to accomodate as I have some room to spare in my setup.

Dave may well have an update on that - my own center is a single 7.2 in slot ported enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.