need some help from the bass players

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Benkev said:
Hi guys. I can't resist throwing my $.02 in. I played bass many many years ago and still pick one up now & then. There are a few things you need to keep in mind:

1) You are not trying to accurately REPRODUCE a recorded sound, you are trying to PRODUCE a musical sound.
2) Harmonic distortion (can) sound good. (See #1 above.)
3) Unless your pickup is mounted at the 12th fret, the amplitude of the fundamental will be way down relative to the harmonics of that vibrating string. This is at least partly why the benchmark Ampeg 8X10 can get away with what would otherwise be horribly poor, weak bass extension.
4) If you really want to produce the fundamentals, consider biamping: One true subwoofer with a low-pass crossover and its own level control, and a "regular" bass with a high-pass crossover.

Food for thought.

Thanks.

I agree, Its not sound re-production its sound creation.
Playing guitar and bass is all about coloring the sound as much as you can to have your own desired sound..

I like the sound of Four 10s to give good punch and a nice big long trow 18. I dont like horn tweeters like on PA speakers or like the red eye carvin stacks.

I like soild state amps cause tube amps are often less reliable if you transport them to gigs. I like tube amp pre amps and other effects processors used with a clean solide state amp.

It is best if you isolate your amp from your bass cab, if you place your amp on top of the cab at high volums the vibrations can cause physical dammage to your amp over time.

You are going to need to make or buy a compressor for your bass signal before your amp, bass peaks can dammage your system and generally not sound good.

If you ever plan to move your gear think light when building the box. Your probibly not gonna be good enough to have groupies move your heavy equipment.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.