• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Need recomdations on a lineamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
fdegrove said:
Hi,

Almost any medium µ tube will have too much gain already and quite likely too high Zo as well.

So why not get creative with the like of 12B4A, 6S4, 6C19P and such?

Cheers,;)

or better yet use a transformer... why reinvent a bad sounding wheel??? what next differential Srpp's? split load inverter DC to dual cathode followers???

a pair of 6C45's and a surplus toroid will cost $30, allow a 2V input for full out and fall below 300 ohms, that leaves some money for the rest. (assuming you pay yerself a nickel an hour for time spent)

seems like that solves all the problems...

dave

fdegrove said:
Hi,

What part in my suggestion would be bad sounding, David?

Or am I misreading you?

A ton of paralelled 6DJ8s a la CJ perhaps?:rolleyes:

Cheers,;)

well the 12B4 has an Rp of 1K... we need 300 ohms balanced... how do you get creative and get there?

the 6C19 is like a 6AS7.... the Rp is what 400 ohms and thats when running 100ma.... and the gain is what 2-3??? so you need 5V plus input to get to the needed 30V p-p out...

so i suppose you could use a pair of 12B4's coupled somehow to the 6C19's with a bit of feedback to drop the Zout to the needed value and still meet the required specs with only a quarter an amp of plate current. ;)

as for the paralleled dj8's ... don't you know they sound blurred.

dave

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

well the 12B4 has an Rp of 1K... we need 300 ohms balanced... how do you get creative and get there?

O.K. I see where the confusion comes from....
We actually have two members here with different requirements for the preamp: Woody and Fuling.

as for the paralleled dj8's ... don't you know they sound blurred.

You know I was only mocking a certain High-End manufacturer.:goodbad:

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.