Need pointers on hackable Bluetooth Audio Module

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I intend to build bluetooth amp using any available bluetooth module. However I need to tweak a few functionalities such as:

1. Change the name of the device. Multiple modules show up with same name and is confusing
  2. Discard the HFP keeping A2DP so that calls do not land on them
  3. Manually switching inputs or changing EQ using a microcontroller

I am a newbie in this area so I seek help and pointers. Dev kits like these CSRA64215 Development Kit - Broadband are pretty costly and doesn't give a clue on the toolchains being used or which functions can be customized.

Best Regards

Hi All,

I intend to build bluetooth amp using any available bluetooth module. However I need to tweak a few functionalities such as:

1. Change the name of the device. Multiple modules show up with same name and is confusing
  2. Discard the HFP keeping A2DP so that calls do not land on them
  3. Manually switching inputs or changing EQ using a microcontroller

I am a newbie in this area so I seek help and pointers. Dev kits like these CSRA64215 Development Kit - Broadband are pretty costly and doesn't give a clue on the toolchains being used or which functions can be customized.

Best Regards

Its far easier with a Microchip RN52. I noticed this one on UK Ebay:
Microchip RN52 IRM Bluetooth® Module NEW SURPLUS STOCK | eBay

If you download the data sheet and user manual from Microchip, it explains how to set the BT mode, change the name etc. I've played about with one using an Atmel microcontroller and it worked reliably and had a good range.

Hi Batteryman,

Thanks for your reply.

I am particularly interested in the CSR(Now Qualcomm) stable because a lot of Chinese modules use them and are pretty cheap.

RN52 comes for about $20 and is Bluetooth 3.0 while the Chinese modules are about half the price or less.

Also the CSR chip offers some extra features such as

1. aptX
2. TWS

While streaming Live from a PC (CSR dongle) I noticed the aptX capable module has the lowest latency.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Hi Batteryman,

Thanks for your reply.

I am particularly interested in the CSR(Now Qualcomm) stable because a lot of Chinese modules use them and are pretty cheap.

RN52 comes for about $20 and is Bluetooth 3.0 while the Chinese modules are about half the price or less.

Also the CSR chip offers some extra features such as

1. aptX
2. TWS

While streaming Live from a PC (CSR dongle) I noticed the aptX capable module has the lowest latency.

Please let me know your thoughts.

I cannot advise on the CSR modules as I have not tried them but they will be very good value if they do what you want for half the cost of the Microchip RN52.
Does the CSR module have a command mode where you can change the id etc like the RN52, which uses its serial port for commands either direct from a PC or via a microcontroller?

Hi Batteryman,

Nope it doesn't.
I guess the CSR would provide better sound quality than the RN52 due to its Bluecore/Kalimba DSP capabilities. However, unlike RN52 the firmware is not open source for mods. Also the modules are mostly pre-programmed ROMs, I have no idea if they can be at all re-programmed.
Regards

Hi Batteryman,

Nope it doesn't.
I guess the CSR would provide better sound quality than the RN52 due to its Bluecore/Kalimba DSP capabilities. However, unlike RN52 the firmware is not open source for mods. Also the modules are mostly pre-programmed ROMs, I have no idea if they can be at all re-programmed.
Regards
That's why they are half the cost of the RN52.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.