Need Info. and Plans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I am hoping that someone out there can help me.

I am trying to find plans and gather info. on building a tube phono preamp with a gain control that will accomodate mm and mc cartridges .

I have a friend who will be able to build it for me, if, I can find plans and get some helpful tips and information.

I will be very grateful for any help in this matter.

Thank you, Tom

RIAA preamp

IMHO, I think that you would be better to make a RIAA preamp from transistors or IC's rather than tubes. The preamp would have to raise a signal of about 4mV up to 400mV, that's a huge gain for a tube, or cascaded tubes without increasing S/N ratio, distortion etc. There are stacks of designs available

Cheers.. Steve

A tube preamp for MC without a transformer is hard to do as the input levels are so low. Another option is to use a transistor as the first gain stage.
However if you can pick up a copy of "HiFi Amplifier Circuits" by Rodenhuis (published by Philips in 1960) there are a couple of good circuits using EF86 and ECC83 in that plus much more info on valve stuff.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The 1st half of this?

fvp5a_s.gif

The FET can be replaced with another 6922 section. Needs a VERY good power supply reg.

dave

Thank you guys for your help. I have been scouring the internet for as much info. as I can get my hands on and have been able to come up with a few ideas.

Does anyone have a good phono preamp design that is tried and true, they could share, along with a parts list and possibly some helpful tips or directions for building it?

Oh yes, and pics?

Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.