Need ideas for Leslie replace amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everybody well I'm just curious I have a Leslie that does not have an amplifier. I would like to build an amplifier for my Leslie. I've seen other people use Marshall guitar heads, and other things for replacements. If you were's going to select a guitar amplifier head what would it be? Or what type of Amplifier do you suggest I build?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on your skill level and tool kit. You can buy complete replacement amplifiers that are comparable. You can buy a kit for a 40 watt or so vacuum tube amp, scratch build one or take the easy way and buy a switching amplifier module.

The nature of a Leslie is that distortion is not a critical issue and only reasonably flat frequency response is required.

So if you want to spend $750.00+ buy a modern replacement. I would build a tube amp from a kit as assembling the correct parts would cost about the same. Of course a module would be cheapest and could be done for under $75.00.

Having looked a kit seems to be about $600 and if you buy the parts $300.

Last edited:
I saw I guy running a really slick blues set up with a Marshall amp running to Custom Leslie rigs, and it was unreal in how it sounded. While I understand the whole kit idea, do I get a guitar tube kit, or a tube amp for regular applications.

Is it a classic Hammond organ, these have an inbuilt preamp and generally a Nine? pin connector to the leslie which carries signal as well as speed control
Does the leslie have horn plus rotor, you would need a crossover
Other things to consider are whether the amp has enough low end power since an organ's range is well below a guitar's
I have a pair of homemade leslies (from console organ units) for my keyboard through a Playmaster 117 amp which was designed for guitar/bass /keys usage

It is a classic organ a c3 these are Leslie 120s that ran off of the Hammond, and I will be modding them with a upper rotor. I will also add the crossover and up grade the stock speakers.
I am going to use a line out kit or make one for the Hammond, and use a speakon or xlr out for sound, and use a different means of switch of the motors, so I no longer have to use the organs mains.
But over all my goal is to have something powerful, something portable, something with effects, such as reverb for classical, and also can play other keyed instruments through when I have to gig

Not sure if you have it but here's the 122 schematic: AS you can see, no preamp needed.

leslie122.gif

Last edited:
Ok so check this out I have a amp from a pr 40, I'm not the greatest at schematic readings when tubes are involved, is there a way to power this without using the organs mains ? This is a 6 pin in. If I could add a controllable volume and a few line ins this could work

I actually have re-powered original Leslie cabinets which were killer sounding but way too weak to be properly heard by a loud drummer plus guitar players, by replacing original speaker with an EVM15L and driving it with a 200W RMS SS amplifier, plus adding protection to the horn driver to avoid blowing it.

People actually was scared by it after hearing it live, onstage or in a Club.

Bet it was the loudest Leslie in the World.

Well then the total output is only three channels of 6BQ5s which is about 45 watts, 15 watts each and the center channel is only reverb signal. In a couple of the other tone cab amps, they split the signal at 200 Hz. Not sure here, I'll look at it more closely later. So the top channel looks like the main treble channel, middle is only reverb and bottom is bass.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.