need help with tapped horn calculation...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,
I have a Sintel 10 inch subwoofer who needs a box, so I decided to build something "new" for me, a tapped horn.
So I learned how to choose the parameters and made some simulations on Hornresp.

Driver parameters are:

model: 90.25E8
Re(ohm): 7.2
Le(mH): 0.67
Fs(Hz): 63
Qes: 0.52
Qms: 8.14
Qts: 0.49
Mms(g.): 25
Cms(mm/N): 0.36
Vas(litri): 60.1
Xmax(mm.): 3.5
Bl(Tm): 9.6
G(m/s^2 A): not available
h(%): not available
SPL/2.8V(dB): 92

Now, I've chosen a S2=sd/2, so 150cm2 and an S3=2*Sd.
Put L12 and L34 = 15cm for construction and L12=200cm.
Then simulated and used the wizard to see the result...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I think not really good...and with just 50w, displacement is too high...
Response absolutely not flat...

So, where I am wrong?
I tried to modify the values, but there is no way for me...
Maybe the driver is not good for a tapped horn?:confused:
Thanks a lot in advance guys!:)

Try this, not great but a start. With 3.5mm of xmax your not going to get loud and low.

Attachments

• Sintel 10.JPG
    Sintel 10.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 272
Sintel 90.25E8 10"

Hi Y'all,

The Sd looks a little small for a 10" driver, you might want to check that because it affects the following calculations if you use Hornresp to calculate Cms etc.
Also, it would be better to use Par for the horn taper, as it more closely reflects a horn path with 2 parallel sides. If you double-click Sd in the Edit mode it gives you the Thiel-Small parameters Hornresp is using in the calculation, they should agree with your measured parameters (or the manufacturers).

Regards,

Last edited:
Hi morpheus82,

A general method to establish Sd is to measure the diameter of the cone plus 1/3 to 1/2 of the surround on each side, then it's just Sd = D^2 * pi/4.

For a volume below 100L you may be best of with a simple bass reflex (vented) enclosure.

Regards,

actually I measured again, effective diameter is 212mm, so Sd is 350cm2 more or less.
This helps more than what I expected!I will post some results later.
The behaviour of the response is still not so good, but I can put 100w without destroying the driver and reach 30Hz...Not bad...:)

Hmm

The original post didn't look like a proper TH set-up - it was likely missing the second driver input .
Post 11 is also not a TH set-up .

Bjorno's post makes more sense , as does Oublie's .
Try this script attached ( store & read it from the 'import' folder ) if you are still having problems - you'll have to change most of the data of course !

Attachments

• th10w400.txt
    445 bytes · Views: 41
Well, not really changing...
My idea is to try the tapped horn, because I'm curious to hear the result.
Then my target for volume is around 80 liters, but I can change this value...
Thanks bjorno for your simulation, looks very good! But you used parabolic sections, how can I achieve easily a parabolic section? Conical one is very easy...

Well, not really changing...
My idea is to try the tapped horn, because I'm curious to hear the result.
Then my target for volume is around 80 liters, but I can change this value...
Thanks bjorno for your simulation, looks very good! But you used parabolic sections, how can I achieve easily a parabolic section? Conical one is very easy...
have you set th in the driver arrangement?
first post doesnt look like a th.
post your hr inputs
bjorno's design looks alright,you can make it even a bit smaller ,start with s2 500,and s4 275,lengt 215 total ,i think ~110 ltrs when bild
10%20inch.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.