Need help to cancel tone control in an amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys
I have a stereo reciever Denon dra 335r
the tone control (bass and treble ) is in the feedback
I want to cancel the tone and to make a pure feedback without any EQ
How you would suggest me to do it ?

I want to do this mod to get more accurate sound .

Attachments

• feedback.jpg
    feedback.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 155
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Easy in principle, trickier to do in practice.

The hard part is determining the single value of resistor to replace all that network with. R316 and C312 stay but probably with altered values. R320 is the main DC feedback route and so somewhere in that ballpark is needed to maintain lowest DC offset. However, that will give an AC gain higher than you have now.

If you have a scope and sig gen (squarewave) then you could optimise it all better.

Joined 2011
I have a stereo reciever Denon dra 335r want to cancel the tone and to make a pure feedback without any EQ

Remove all the components in that block and replace with three parts.
1) a resistor from the output to the inverting input (base of TR306), around 150k.
2) a resistor (around 5k) and a capacitor in series from the inverting input to ground.
The capacitor would be around 100uF 50V non-polarized.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You are best measuring the voltage across C1 (it will be very low) and fitting the cap to suit. It shows it as +60mv on the diagram but it could be say -25mv. So fit to suit the conditions.

The small cap would typically be around 6.8 to 22pf (picofarad) and a be a small polyester type ideally. Silver mica isn't to bad as long as the voltage rating is OK, say 100volt.

Hi White Rhino, the common way to do this is by using a "tone-defeat" switch which is achieved by a four-pole change over toggle switch. to cancel the bass you short circuit the potentiometer (bass control of each channel) at the same time you cancel the treble with a 10 Meg series resistor. If you don't follow I will make a sketch, but it is really straight forward. When the tone-defeat is on only the resistive elements are used in the feedback path.

Last edited:
I have one comment for you Rhino and that is as soon as you remove all traces of the tone control there will come a time when you will kick yourself for the stupid decision. There is no such think as flat playback and the only way you will come close at achieving this is with a bass and treble control. Having a mid control would be an even further advantage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.