Need help ! Pioneer GM-2200

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The voltage will likely drop when you connect it to the battery.

i`m gonna have another go at the idle current switches. they are set to its lowest voltgage point.Am I right to assume that this low voltage setting is the one thats holding me back?

I found the proper manual on the net and I read this values from the "setting the idle current" for them

I have thes values VR551 Lch 1.0mv+2.3mV
VR552 Rch -0,34mV

I really need a good voltage source (the car) for this test correct?I`m asking you beacuse i don`t feel very happy about going out in the cold ....

You need to set both of them to 1mv. The tolerance for the setting is +2.3mv to -0.34mv from the target of 1mv.

The bias/idle current controls are potentiometers, not switches.

The bias settings are not likely to be the problem unless the bias is set far too high.

The battery voltage shouldn't affect the bias current significantly but it needs to be in the 12-14.4v range. The manual recommends 14.4v but it's not really critical that it be that high.

my battery charger has the following on it

100VA,
A-x1/x2/x3 360V
D-x1/x2/x3 24 V

Now I don`t know what to say about them because it was built in 1987 and the writing is off in some places.In the other places it has nothing that says : powerconsumption, etc.

Only writing that I could find were theese.Can I use this to power the amp, or is the car the only way??

Thank you and sorry for all these questions.I don`t want to screw thing up at the end (assuming the problem is from the idle current )

i`m not gonna keep on with this any more.....

1)when i`ll mess with the byas should the amp be connected to speakers and signal driven into it?
2)wich is the best volt value?the maximum of 2.3mV or less?or 1.0mV on both?
3)should I be "tunning" them both simultaneously or one at a time?
4)cand I switch them both to 50%?what are the risks?in theory shouldn`t the voltage value be at 1.1~1.2mV and therfore be good?
5)if I can`t perform nr.4, and I have to "fine" tune both of them....wich is the value that I should be stoping at?And should it be the same value on both of them?
6)am I mistaken to be accting like this : turn amp on - wait 13 min., tune the byas(amp on/off whyle tunning ???), get values with the multimeter, and then retry it untill i get the values correct...(again..wich value am I looking for...optimum value??)

Thank you for your time and I`ll try to make this the last post.

p.s. if I get the relay out of the bord, and make the 3 bridges the friend told me about (he did it on his amp and it works at maximum parameters without harm), what can go wrong?Do you reccomend it?

1. no signal, no speakers
2. 1mv is optimal for both channels. Don't be too concerned with getting it exact. It's going to drift slightly no matter where you set it.
3. one at a time
4. If you set the pot to the middle of its range, the bias may be far too high.
5. Set them both to 1mv
6. They recommend that you leave it on for a while to allow the temperature to stabilize. You set them, wait a minute or so and re-check.

Thank You mister Perry.

Just arrived from the car where I tested it after yesterdays settings.
The amp works great.No more protecion etc.Worked it up to the max allmost as well in stereo mode and in bridge mode.

Thank you for your time and well put edvices.couldn`t have done this without your help.Please excuse me once again if I showed some clear evidence of stupidity in some questions that the answer was logical.

Thank you again ! 10 + from me !If we ever meet I`ll buy the bar not just a couple of beers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.