• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Need help on DIY Toccata Phono Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Recently, I DIY the Toccata Phono MKII preamp and found the amplificiation of the amp is far lower than expected. I am using Dynavector 17D3 MC phono and connect the Preamp to a headphone amplifier. I turn the volume to maximum and merely hear the music. I checked the voltages and found nothing adnormal. Attached the schematic with voltage shown. Please advise the possible cause of problem....many thanks.

Attachments

• Toccata.gif
    Toccata.gif
    13.1 KB · Views: 406
After several trail, I find the cause of problem, since I couldn't find 2SK147, I use Vishay J/SST201 instead. May be it is not compatible with 2SK147, it doesn't amplify the signal. what shall I use to replace the 2SK147?

Try 2SK369. Still available, though maybe not for long. The K369 has the largest Yfs, and gain, of any of the low-noise Toshibas - and they sound excellent in the MC first-stage position. IMO, you can ignore the popular demand for the BL or V grade of these, and use the easy-to-find GR version. 4 to 7mA is plenty low noise for most cartridges, and gain and sound quality excellent.

You can get even more gain, and better sound, if you connect them up as shunt-cascode - search in the Analogue Source forum for Werner's OP637 RIAA amp, with K369 first stage. This circuit gives an idea of what that JFET can really do. You can use passive RIAA eq, followed by a valve in the second stage.

If you put the K369 in the Toccata, check that the 5842 Anode voltage appears as shown on Thorsten's drawing. This is very important - and it is also easy to adjust.

The 50 ohm resistor in the JFET source can be varied until the 8V drop across the 10K anode load resistor is correct.

Sad to say, the J201 will not respond to this change.

IT's because Idss of the J201 is 1mA max - this is the highest current it can deliver. Also, gfs is only 1mS, which means the gain in the first stage is only 10.

The input-eq noise is 6nV/(Hz^0.5) - not low enough for MC.

With a K369GR you get 40mS at 5mA, giving a gain of 400, and < 1nV/(Hz^0.5)

Rod

You save me lot of time, really thanks a lot.

Other than the gain of the amplifier, I have another problem, since I don't have 2.2uf audio capacitor in hand, I use a 0.47uF Jensen copper tube instead as the output capacitor. Will this cause the sound lost all the mid-range and bass?

It is very likely! The output capacitor of 0,47uF requires the power amp (or line amp, of whatever the RIAA amp feeds into) must have input impedance 100K or more.

Solid state PAs have 20K input or even less, and need at least 2.2uF or more.

Yes, the Bass goes weak if the C value is too low.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.