Need help on a Leak Speaker 2020 i have just brought

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
sreten said:
Well accuracy is one mans too much bass and anothers not enough.

Personally its not an issue for me as I always build in some
EQ for the low bass into my amps to suit my taste (flat).
(its a lot easier than changing speakers)

Line the Tannoy's cabinet with very cheap thin vinyl floor tiles
(several layers 3/4) for some improvement. The stands are
pretty good compared to others in the lightwieght school of
thought, (and they fit the loudspeakers) though they don't
compare to "heavyweight" stands if you are that way inclined.

:) sreten.

yeah! i love my bass, as i like a lot of good Breakz n Beats music. Thanks for the tip about using vinyl floor tiles, i'll try it out. Does placing the speakers nearer to a wall help?

By the way, one side of the speakers don't actually sound very loud and l know this is not the speakers faults because i have try out many different kind of music on other speakers with the same amp. So i know it's probably to do with my balance on the amp itself. How would you fix this problem?

Another thing is, i really wanted to know how i can directly connect my bi-wirable speakers to my amp without bi-wiring it. Do i have to short the LF with the HF connectors at the back of my speakers?

It's a shame i don't have another amp to test the speakers. Maybe, it's time to buy a new one. One that packs a lot of power, i thought about getting a Luxman (70's model, i don't know but i'm a sucker for the style of those days), though they don't appear a lot these days? had a Rotel before and they were okay but never really had that omph in it. What amp are you using at present and your experiences with other amp in the past?

I have a vintage Audiolab and would recommend vintage
Mission Cyrus amplifiers. (Cyrus 2 + PSX for ~ £230).

On a budget Cyrus 1 for ~ £110, or a Cyrus 2 for ~ £150.

The early versions use a plastic case, and are much
cheaper than the later full diecast case models.

For the bi-wire speakers you simply short each pair together.

If you like deep bass de-tuning ports is always worthwhile.
Line the port with foam - a piece 3 x diameter x port length.
Thickness of the foam should reduce CSA by ~ 50%, so
8mm foam thickness is good for a 50mm diameter port.

In my experience (and using amp EQ for bass) close to wall
mounting upsets the advantage of smooth room gain in the
bass, detuned ports and free space works better IMO.

Does your amplifier not have a balance control. My hearing
is biased to the right so I set balance somewhat right and
always sit right of centre, apparently this also works for
other listeners forced to sit left of centre.
In my system there isn't an ideal central listening position.

beta_sound said:
Just out of curiosity, if you were to buy a pair of speaker which brand would you choose as the all time classic 70's speaker? This question is for everyone else too!

Well, if you had a huge living room (with room for space behind this speaker), a huge power amp and valued midrange quality, this would be on my listening list, it's a Gale GS401c.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

sreten said:
70's candidates are the NAD 3020 and A&R A60.

I used to own a NAD 3020, they were great (especially if you are into music on vinyl as the phono stage was excellent). But got rid of it as i did not really like the look it of, now i do knid of regret selling it, but hey! they are plentiful and you can alway pick one up cheaply.

As for the A & R A60, never owned one before and never have really heard what they sound like, though i have heard they sound rich and detailed. I do like the slim look of it in a wooden casing.

What about the Pioneer A400?

Oh man, a good old amp, i would have to say the Quad range is still alive and kicking, its a testament to its quality, There are some good old creek amps but there also to young, the Pioneer A400 was a famous amp in its day, but was it that good or was it hype made by the press in its day, I dont know if you can still get brystone amps or rowland, infact just get an Old Audiolab that had a very clear phone stage, you can find them on Ebay for 120 odd quid, that is not bad for a slice of history,

Everyone loves Quad, you just can't go wrong with it, that's why it's often sold with a high price tag. But, i'm looking for or thinking of something that we can call a classic and it would not even empty your bank account. It's a hard one to follow as we all know quality don't come cheap.

Anyway, can anyone think of an excellent 70's amp that can still perform as expected today after a good old about 25 years or so and still looks classy and stylish (none of your boring black casing of today's amp).

So i'll kick of my first choice - Luxman (solid state amp) to me was a very cool looking amp (silver fascia) with a lot of switches on it too. Unfortunaely, we dont' see much of it round for sell these days. How it sounded i don't really know, as i have never used one, though i have heard they are quite powerful and rich in sound.

beta_sound said:
Everyone loves Quad, you just can't go wrong with it, that's why it's often sold with a high price tag. But, i'm looking for or thinking of something that we can call a classic and it would not even empty your bank account. It's a hard one to follow as we all know quality don't come cheap.

Anyway, can anyone think of an excellent 70's amp that can still perform as expected today after a good old about 25 years or so and still looks classy and stylish (none of your boring black casing of today's amp).

Hitachi amps of the era are a lot cheaper than Quad (HA 4700, 5300, etc), but don't expect the SQ to be in the same league. Their output devices are expensive and rare IIRC. Although they do have dc detect LS protection rather than the crowbar "end it all" affair on the Quad 405. They look nice if you like lots of buttons and stuff, it think this could be the key to the SQ downfall though. I've had very positive results using a decent pre into the power in of a HA5300.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.