Need Help Identifying Zener Diode in Sony NS999ES DVD Player

I’m bumping this 10 year old thread because I just bought a Sony DVP-NS999ES from eBay as “not working for parts or repair only.”

It had precisely the same failed parts as noted in this post. The 1500uF capacitor was bulged out at the top and had “vented.” The 18V zener was shorted. After replacing both parts the player is up and running. I’ll check the rest of the electrolytic capacitors and replace all which have high ESR. I have an ESR meter.

My Sony DVP-NS999ES is now operational after recapping its power supply.

There is just one remaining issue with it:
It won’t reliably initialize or play hybrid SACD/CD discs.

I have lots of hybrid SACD/CD discs in my music collection. Because these discs have 2 layers of data, one underneath the other, they require the laser optical pickup to be in good condition.

I suspect the optical pickup in this DVP-NS999ES might be in “less than perfect” condition.

Fortunately I have a supply of the correct optical pickup to try out.
It is the Sony KHM-270AAA.

This optical pickup was widely used in many different models of Sony DVD players. These 3 Sony models use it:
DVP-NS999ES
DVP-NS755V
(midrange DVD player with multi-channel audio & it plays SACD)
DVP-NS715P (basic DVD player)​

For the past 10 years I acquired several DVP-NS755V units and learned how to repair/maintain them. To my ears their audio quality is quite acceptable for both CD & SACD playback.

I am eager to get this DVP-NS999ES fully restored because it contains a much more refined audio output section vs. midrange players such as the DVP-NS755V.

I previously replaced faulty optical pickups in some of my DVP-NS755V units. The cheapest source for replacement optical pickups turned out to be from DVP-NS715P DVD players which I found at garage sales, Goodwill, or ebay. Prices ranged from “free” up to $50 including shipping. This gave me a supply of genuine original Sony KHM-270AAA laser optical pickups. I haven’t yet tried any aftermarket optical pickups because they often cost more than an entire DVP-NS715P unit.

Yesterday I got a DVP-NS715P which has very low hours (<1000) on its DVD laser.
Note: The hidden “diagnostic menu” in Sony disc players has a screen which displays “laser hours” for both DVD laser (visible red) and CD laser (infrared). The KHM-270AAA is a “dual laser” optical pickup. Sony did this to enable their disc players to play “burned” discs as well as factory discs.​

The RF signal (“eye” pattern) from the optical pickup in this DVP-NS715P is strong & very “clean” (noise free) when viewed on my oscilloscope. I expect it to work quite well after I transplant it into my DVP-NS999ES. I’ll post the result of this project soon.

-EB

Yes, lesser units are great source for optical pickups. I have Sony SCD-1 that I still keep in working condition. It is on the second optical pickup. I identified 3 DVD players that use the same unit, and stocked-up.

I also have the NS999ES, which I got for the cost of shipping. It had jammed transport door, an easy fix. Wonderful player, it has multi-channel SACD playback (The SCD-1 is just regular stereo).

Multi-channel is perhaps my favorite reason for loving the SACD format. I have numerous SACD discs in my collection which have both a 2-channel and a multi-channel mix on the same disc. The multi-channel mixes are true discrete 4 or 5 channel mixes. The best sounding mixes were done by people who knew the music, knew how to mix well, and they were using the original multi-track master tapes or digital source recordings to mix down from.

Many of them create an intense “you are there” musical impression.

Among Sony DVD/CD/SACD players, the DVP-NS755V & DVP-NS975V models are easier to find and much less costly than the DVP-NS999ES. All of these models can provide true discrete 5.1 channel audio from SACD. The main item which sets the DVP-NS999ES apart from the midrange models is its heavy all-metal chassis and its elaborate “no compromise” analog output section.

-EB

While continuing to restore my Sony DVP-NS999ES I also rotated several other members of my Sony DVD/SACD/CD player collection onto my workbench.

I just noticed a substantial difference in hardware architecture:

Older models, such as the DVP-NS999ES and DVP-NS755V have a dedicated IC chip to decode the DSD data stream from SACD discs. There is a multi-wire direct electrical connection from this DSD decoder IC to the 8-channel DAC. I’m not sure where the DSD stream is converted into analog. The 8-channel DAC can also receive PCM data in I2S format, but this isn’t active when playing SACD. I assume the I2S input is used while playing DVD or standard CD discs. I still need to check these things by monitoring these signals with my oscilloscope.

Later models, such as DVP-NS975V and DVP-NS90V ***don’t*** have a dedicated DSD SACD processor IC. It appears the D-A conversion is handled by the 8-channel DAC. This means there is intermediate conversion of the DSD stream into standard PCM which is then fed into the 8-channel DAC via I2S.

I haven’t yet performed many A-B listening tests between these 2 different player architectures.

I wonder if any DIY audio members have evaluated SACD playback through these different player architectures?

My assumption is that high-end players like the Sony DVP-NS999ES are capable of converting the DSD stream into analog ***without*** the intermediate step of first resampling the DSD data stream into PCM.

Also: Does converting DSD into PCM cause a loss of audio quality?

-EB

As I investigate these mid-2000 era Sony DVD/CD/SACD players I’m learning some things about their architecture.

The following 3 Sony models are similar to each other. All of them play DVD/CD/SACD and they all have analog 5.1 audio outputs plus digital audio via RCA jack and Toslink.

DVP-NS775V: Does ***not*** have HDMI.

DVP-NS975V: Similar to DVP-NS775V, but with HDMI output jack.

DVP-NS90V: Features are nearly identical to DVP-NS-975V. But the PC boards look different.

After reviewing the schematics I discovered these 3 models contain the MediaTek MT1389 DVD player IC chip. This chip is labeled with a Sony part number, but all of the I/O pins match up perfectly with the pinout of the MT1389.

So next I’ll be looking up information about the MediaTek MT1389 family of DVD decoder chips.

-EB

on the NS999es, if the tray makes a kind of sandpaper sliding sound when opening & closing, is that a wear or lubrication issue? If lube is necessary, what kind of lube should be used, and on what surfaces (sparingly)?
This is a rather unusual and complicated tray assembly. It has a little door which tightly closes the front panel slot when the tray is closed. I don’t recall my unit making any unusual sliding noises. Perhaps something isn’t quite lined up properly in your unit?
By far the best diagnostic technique is to compare identical mechanisms to each other when a working unit can be placed next to the faulty unit. Unfortunately the tray mechanism in the DVP-NS999ES is unlike any other tray mechanism I’ve seen. At this time I have only one DVP-NS999ES. But I am keeping my eyes open to eventually get another one if the price is right.

-EB