Need help, designing TH sub with 2x12" drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
New simulation. 6,5metres long, 23Hz low corner.. Anyone who know how big this will be folded?

Conserned about WAF.. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• BM12-2C 4Ohm SPL Response 05.JPG
    BM12-2C 4Ohm SPL Response 05.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 129
  • BM12-2C 4Ohm Input Parametres 05.JPG
    BM12-2C 4Ohm Input Parametres 05.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 128
Look at the Schematic Diagram, add ~20%, then you'll have a decent estimate.

It probably won't be small.
~20% longer?

No, I cannot make it this big. So, a low end of about 25-30Hz.. I'll try to aim for 400cm and see where it take me.. :) You wrote earlier a good designed 30Hz horn can be better than a bad 25Hz horn.

A new attept gave me this, a little smaller, still big, but.. Can I run S3 this tight? We run drivers in closed cabinets too..

What do you think?

Attachments

• BM12-2C 4Ohm SPL Response 06.JPG
    BM12-2C 4Ohm SPL Response 06.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 125
  • Tapped Horn Wizard 06.JPG
    Tapped Horn Wizard 06.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 124
  • BM12-2C 4Ohm Input Parametres 06.JPG
    BM12-2C 4Ohm Input Parametres 06.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 125
That is pretty small - 1/10 the driver Sd.

You're modeling a pretty unconventional enclosure there, the flat frequency response might only be part of the total picture.
Hmm, I guess so..

With unconventional you mean not likely to work good after construction.. Not a proven design is probably more correct to say. I bring the data to a guy at work, mabye he can make a drawing and give me a idea of final design.

Do you got a suggestion for me?
How would you do it? Sell the drivers and get suitable ones?

I got time on my side, no stress to start building. :)

By unconventional I meant that a typical tapped horn has a continuous positive expansion and a TTQWT has a continuous negative expansion. This is a mix of both. Others have built things like this and had decent results. I have not, so I can't offer anything other than opinions.

I do worry about a 10:1 neck in the design, but it may work. Only way to know is build and measure.

By unconventional I meant that a typical tapped horn has a continuous positive expansion and a TTQWT has a continuous negative expansion. This is a mix of both. Others have built things like this and had decent results. I have not, so I can't offer anything other than opinions.

Thanks for the info.

I do worry about a 10:1 neck in the design, but it may work. Only way to know is build and measure.

The two equally important factors I need to design for is a correct sound image and WAF.

A bad result and I cannot use it with pease of mind.

Bad WAF= I cannot use it in the living room= useless.

If you want to recommend a better driver, please do!

Across the sea from England, Norway, Northern Europe. Shipping can be an issue, but I would normally find what I need, then decide on the shipping cost.

I'm all ears! :)
I've checked a little around for drivers, and the 30Hz Tangband Tapped Horn from volvotreter.de look the most promising, and the drivers for it, the 6.5" Tangband W6-1139SC or W6-1139SG, will be $170 plus 25% taxes for two drivers.

If I buy two of these, and build a double 30Hz Tangband Tapped Horn, with the drivers side by side? Work with the original cabinet, measure the drivers with Woffer Tester 2 and adjust the cabinet according to measurements?

Alot better WAF than the 12"ers I got.

Should be a better option..

That is a good driver for use in a tapped horn, and Volvotreter's is not a bad design. Personally, I like to keep L12 as short as possible, as it helps with the impulse response.

I've built a quad-driver 30 Hz horn with the current version of that driver, it is detailed over in the collaborative thread.

Attachments

• SEAS 5810 - L26ROY - D10001 SPL Response 01.JPG
    SEAS 5810 - L26ROY - D10001 SPL Response 01.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 199
  • SEAS 5810 - L26ROY - D10001 Input Parametres 01.JPG
    SEAS 5810 - L26ROY - D10001 Input Parametres 01.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 197
That is a good driver for use in a tapped horn, and Volvotreter's is not a bad design. Personally, I like to keep L12 as short as possible, as it helps with the impulse response.

I've built a quad-driver 30 Hz horn with the current version of that driver, it is detailed over in the collaborative thread.

In the 346page collaborative tapped horn thread? :) I need some time digesting that one!

For size, how big is your box with the Quad 6,5"'s? They will be the same cost as the 10" mentioned above.

What is your experience with this setup? Sound quality and allround?

Thnx..

I'll save you some time. First post is here. Hornresp inputs and initial measurements are here. 2.83V 1M measurement here. Listening impressions and commentary here.

In a nutshell, the Tang Band W6-1139SI is a really good driver for use in a tapped horn so long as you're not trying for bass below 25 Hz. The sound was clean and quick, low bass guitar and percussion sounded great. Keep in mind I'm no golden-eared audiophile (I listen to music, not cables...:D), and since I designed and built it, I might be a little bit biased, but it sounds good to me (and it measured pretty good too...which probably means more than my ears). It absolutely dominated the 12" sub it replaced in both SPL and sound quality (that sub was sold afterwards for nearly what this project cost!). The tapped horn made 20 more dB @ 30 Hz, and was easily 10 dB louder (115 @ the couch vs 105), though we did not have the amp's gain all the way up, and the tapped horn sounded better.

External dimensions were 77" long, 19" wide, just under 8-1/2" high

For the rest of the world, ~196 cm long, ~48 cm wide, 21.5 cm high. I used 3/4 nominal material (19 mm nominal).

I did this as a simple single-fold. If you wanted to fold it up more, you certainly could.

The art in tapped horn design is in efficient and effective folding. With the tools we have for design of these enclosures now, modeling them is much easier than accurately folding up a model. I am not skilled at the complex folding of tapped horns, I have tried for several years now. I can do it, but it takes me hours to get a good design. I can make the concept quickly enough, but when it comes time to make it into reality, I struggle, because the dimensions are critical.

I'll save you some time. First post is here. Hornresp inputs and initial measurements are here. 2.83V 1M measurement here. Listening impressions and commentary here.

Thanks! Saved me hours or even days!

In a nutshell, the Tang Band W6-1139SI is a really good driver for use in a tapped horn so long as you're not trying for bass below 25 Hz. The sound was clean and quick, low bass guitar and percussion sounded great. Keep in mind I'm no golden-eared audiophile (I listen to music, not cables...:D), and since I designed and built it, I might be a little bit biased, but it sounds good to me (and it measured pretty good too...which probably means more than my ears). It absolutely dominated the 12" sub it replaced in both SPL and sound quality (that sub was sold afterwards for nearly what this project cost!). The tapped horn made 20 more dB @ 30 Hz, and was easily 10 dB louder (115 @ the couch vs 105), though we did not have the amp's gain all the way up, and the tapped horn sounded better.

I'm no expert as well, but as long as my ears are happy, I'm happy. No matter it the equipment cost is $100 or $5000.

For the rest of the world, ~196 cm long, ~48 cm wide, 21.5 cm high. I used 3/4 nominal material (19 mm nominal).

I did this as a simple single-fold. If you wanted to fold it up more, you certainly could.

I would really have to fold this thing once more! WAF must be kinda high..

The art in tapped horn design is in efficient and effective folding. With the tools we have for design of these enclosures now, modeling them is much easier than accurately folding up a model. I am not skilled at the complex folding of tapped horns, I have tried for several years now. I can do it, but it takes me hours to get a good design. I can make the concept quickly enough, but when it comes time to make it into reality, I struggle, because the dimensions are critical.

But to fold this horn.. It's not possible! I want to make only one horn path and 4drivers for a start design, double width, less complexity? But when folding, I want to keep the same centre lenght and cross-section area?

A question about amp for this: The Powersupply in my current sub amp got a label "150VA" Is it sufficient for a Quad setup for now?

How about I start a new thread, with the goal of building a Quad Tang Band 6,5" sub horn and start from there? :) A VERY quick guesstimate on size in my head based on your cabinet, tell me that this can be something like ~50cm wide x ~50cm deep x ~100cm high using a single horn path and 4drivers. As for material, I'm thinking something like 25mm(1") or 30mm MDF and some bracing.

That can be something really interresting to continue working on.

Because my 12"ers really just get too large of a box for me to use at home, I've ruled them out of the equation.

Last edited:
How about I start a new thread, with the goal of building a Quad Tang Band 6,5" sub horn and start from there? :)

.. 12"ers really just get too large of a box for me to use at home, I've ruled them out of the equation.

Hi Join,

FYI,On the way to the trash bin I let my simulation to pass this tread :)

b

Attachments

• Beastmaster-BM12-2C-Horn-comp-180LitreTH.JPG
    Beastmaster-BM12-2C-Horn-comp-180LitreTH.JPG
    647 KB · Views: 158
Thanks! Saved me hours or even days!

I'm no expert as well, but as long as my ears are happy, I'm happy. No matter it the equipment cost is $100 or $5000.

I would really have to fold this thing once more! WAF must be kinda high..

But to fold this horn.. It's not possible! I want to make only one horn path and 4drivers for a start design, double width, less complexity? But when folding, I want to keep the same centre lenght and cross-section area?

A question about amp for this: The Powersupply in my current sub amp got a label "150VA" Is it sufficient for a Quad setup for now?

How about I start a new thread, with the goal of building a Quad Tang Band 6,5" sub horn and start from there? :) A VERY quick guesstimate on size in my head based on your cabinet, tell me that this can be something like ~50cm wide x ~50cm deep x ~100cm high using a single horn path and 4drivers. As for material, I'm thinking something like 25mm(1") or 30mm MDF and some bracing.

That can be something really interresting to continue working on.

Because my 12"ers really just get too large of a box for me to use at home, I've ruled them out of the equation.

Don't split the throat, I had to in order to keep the cabinet thin enough to fit where it needed to go.

Mount all four drivers on a common 14-inch wide baffle in a 2X2 array, push-pull if possible. Then do a simple dual-fold design like Volvotreter's.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.