Need help choosing op amp for active crossovers and preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I believe that discrete circuits sound better because of their simplicity. Don't look at specs of op amps because when it comes to sound they don't mean nothing.
On the other hand there are some very respectful and good sounding designs using op amps (Madrigal and Jeff Rowland preamps) that you cannot disregard op amps completely. The choice belongs to you and depends on your personal preferences and how complicated you want your project to be.
Here is a good link to combined lineamp and crossover with an artwork: borbelyaudio.com

It's funny. You only hear this in audio - in fact only in consumer audio circles.

I started designing analog broadcast video gear in the early 1980s. beleive me when economical video speed OPAMPS came about in the 1990s from Maxim and Comm Linear, it was a god send.

There is no way a discrete video amplifier can outperform a video OPAMP. Been there, seen that. And for the same technical reasons, I don't put too much stock in the audio OPAMP stories.

It's funny. You only hear this in audio - in fact only in consumer audio circles.
I started designing analog broadcast video gear in the early 1980s. beleive me when economical video speed OPAMPS came about in the 1990s from Maxim and Comm Linear, it was a god send.
There is no way a discrete video amplifier can outperform a video OPAMP. Been there, seen that. And for the same technical reasons, I don't put too much stock in the audio OPAMP stories.

I remember (i was young) the years 80-90, the engineers in the magazines were often claimed "discrete circuits sound better" but it was always about amplifiers.

The context often disappear within time go by... :hypno2:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.