Need grounding advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
kvholio said:
Todd, apart from the chg to ac-safety gnd connection with resistor, yes.

If possible, you might also extend the shaft for the stepped attenuator to make the input-signal wires as short as possible and keep them away from the noisy parts of the circuit: ac mains, transformers, rectifier diodes.

With kind regards,

Klaas

Thanks Klaas, I appreciate your insight.

Good point about the input leads. FYI, for clarity I 'hid' my heatsink from the drawing, and it consumes most of the 'white space' in that region. The attenuator is as close as it can get to the inputs without removing some heatsink fins. I may consider doing that after testing if the heat build-up isn't bad. I may also consider sawing my heatsink in half and reconfiguring the layout to accomodate a clear path so the attenuator can go all the way back, but I'm not sure if I'll be successful given the confines of dimension I'm working with.

The heavy black horizontal line is a steel shield/divider that will hopefully reduce some stray fields emanating from the power supply. I will also shield the input wires and possibly even the attenuator.

Let me know if that sounds misguided.

..Todd

Attachments

• chassis2.gif
    chassis2.gif
    17.3 KB · Views: 303
Todd, i dont think its necessary to cut your heatsink. It was merely a suggestion based on what i saw :)
I always use shielded interconnects for connecting signal-inputs btw. I hope you understand my recommendations till now do not guarantee a hum-free gainclone, it's just basic "sound"grounding to me (also, i'm no guru,whatever that may stand for).

Enzedone, about the picture of the star-grounds you posted in this thread: if this is a gainclone, it seems wrong to me.Where do all those groundwires originate from ?

with kind regards,

Klaas

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
kvholio said:
I hope you understand my recommendations till now do not guarantee a hum-free gainclone, it's just basic "sound"grounding to me (also, i'm no guru,whatever that may stand for).

What? No guarantee? :mad:

Seriously, I'm thrilled you have responded as much as you have. It's that spirit that makes this forum so valuable.

..Todd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.