• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Need good EF86 based RIAA preamp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, it's certainly quirky and has a noise penalty. However, in practice the noise penalty is fine IME, especially in semiconductor variants. I played around with the concept out of curiosity, got the whole gain job done in a single pentode, saved a gain stage and simplified RIAA - though obviously still needs a CF buffer.

As to motivation, some of the alleged advantages are set out in this (lapsed) patent from 1984 which seems to be a variant of similar principles:

Patent US4470020 - Virtual ground preamplifier for magnetic phono cartridge - Google Patents

Interesting patent! As long as the feedback resistor is large enough, a transimpedance amplifier will hardly give you any noise penalty, unlike a voltage amplifier with a low-valued resistor shunting its input.

The earliest moving-magnet transient response improver I know of is Hans van Maanen's 1979 circuit:

H.R.E. van Maanen, "Compensatie van mechanische resonantie van pick-up elementen", Radio Electronica, 1979, no.15/16 pages 25...29 and no. 17 pages 35...40, available on his website Temporal Coherence - Home

This circuit does not mechanically damp anything, but just damps the electrical resonance and compensates for the mechanical resonance. Steven van Raalte published an improved version a few years ago in Jan Didden's magazine:

Steven van Raalte, "Correcting transducer response with an inverse resonance filter", Linear Audio, vol. 3, 1 April 2012, pages 69...90

Yes, it is curiously interesting I find. And different. Feedback impedance in combination with cartridge coil impedance determines gain too, of course. In practice gain-bandwidth performance of op-amps I found to be an issue , and that feedback stage also re-forms the 75us RIAA time constant as set out in the text. One of the reasons I looked to pentodes intially.

The Barney Oliver preamp is also a virtual earth amplifier where virtual input impedance is designed to naturally form the 75us time constant. This is easier to realise, but has a noise penalty - albeit fine in practice IME.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.