Need advice to start my first electronic project

Hi, I have some basic training in electronics and I am looking to start my first project (improve a vintage CD player) toward DIY audio but I am on a very tight budget. Here are the tools I have in mind so far
HP Agilent DSO3062A Oscilloscope, 60 MHz, 1 GS/s, 2 Channel ~130CAD
Weller wad 101 digital soldering station ~100CAD

Do you think I can do better with the price list above for each tool? What else do I need to start a project?

Thanks in advance.

Oscar

P.S. I also accept used equipment since all tools I list above are price for used as well.

Joined 2011
Those are certainly reasonable.Make sure the scope comes with probes, and that the soldering iron works.
You should get some kind of warranty, if only 30 days, for returning either.

Don't forget small tools, like needle nose pliers, cutters, wire stripper, solder, etc.
https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-CHP-170-Micro-Cutter/dp/B00FZPDG1K/ref=sr_1_1
https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-PN-2007-Long-Nose-Outside-Serrated/dp/B00FZPHEW2/ref=sr_1_2
https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-CSP-30-7-Stripper-Maximum-Capacity/dp/B00FZPHY7M/ref=asc_df_B00FZPHY7M/

Last edited:
Thank you! I got a wire stripper a long time ago so it should work. Unfortunately, I don't think I will get 30 30-day return because I mainly purchase them from FB market. In addition, I am also planning to use the same setup for any future project, like repairing a turntable, or DIY an amplifier SS or Tube, etc. Do you think I should add any more to my list of tools?

Joined 2011
Beware of used stuff that doesn't work, it may cost more to fix it than if you had bought new.
Also you'll need the usual hand tools, like a drill, screwdrivers (multiple sizes and types), nut drivers, socket sets, maybe a vise.
You can't really have too many tools.

What the grounded ESD mat and wrist strap do is, shunt static electricity away to help minimize the potential charge difference between the human body, the circuit board or component in hand, and the table work surface so that a discharge shouldn’t occur. We generate enough static charge to damage the die in some transistors.

The two main failures are immediate catastrophic failures, and latent failures. Latent failures pop up later when it’s inconvenient.

I’ll say that a humidifier makes a bit difference reducing static. The clean room I was employed in years ago maintained a faily high humidity for that reason.

Something has changed, the seller of the DSO hasn't replied to me yet and I have to think of a backup plan instead. I don't want to extend my budget and within the current budget (130$), I can see mostly are analog ones and now I found a Hitachi v680 for 45$. Is it good? I have only used DSO before. Does anyone have experience with Hitachi's oscilloscope? In addition, I am sure that the Hitachi v680 also comes with two probes while the DSO may or may not come with probes since it was not stated in the description.

Last edited: