Need advice on which DVD/CD recorder to get

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
some folks will argue that cars have gone downhill after the introduction of non - round headlamps too

Re cassette. vinyl et al
well... just as there are early adopters, then you got the others on the tail end holding on for dear life. What about the "Market Share" of Vinyl vs mp3 DLing, maybe some day in the future Hi-Fi audio will matter again. haha
BTW any good cassette machines you can recommend? I'd be interested low cost & good, so I can archive my last bits too. darn i really have more Sony Beta video tapes than audio cassette.
PS let me know what you decide on buying, maybe I'll just let you do it.

Last edited:
"Low cost" and "good" are generally difficult to find in the same sentence...

New: Tascam. (but they are dual decks)Product: 202mkV | TASCAM
(note no balanced in/out- maybe they offer a module for this?)
AH-HA! Found one!
Product: CD-A750 | TASCAM
Note it is a CD player and cassette recorder, and probably a bit expensive.

Used: Tascam.

These are built like "Main Battle Tanks" and are suitable for use as a weapon of self defense as well (sharp corners help in this regard), and will still work flawlessly. However, this does not exclude the typical radio station from finding new and creative ways to destroy them. Tape doors ripped off is not too uncommon, but literally difficult to do. I can only imagine the door was opened and a tech used this as a step to reach something on a high shelf... VERY well built machines.

Check eBay and see what pops up. I would suggest a two-head model for simple archiving. The three-head models are more prevalent such as a 122 (which is what I have) but, with all Tascam decks, if you want balanced in and out, you need to verify it has them. On the original 122 (like mine- the brown one) it was an option above the ~$1,000.00 price tag at the time they were new, and often not there. The good news is most of these can be retrofitted by removing the screwed on back panel and finding a balanced module for it. (or a busted deck that has one- the cheapest solution). The 122 MkIII is the latest and greatest version. (also the most expensive at ~$250 used)

Tascam 122MKIII Pro 3 Head Tape Cassette Deck Recorder - eBay (item 110658972697 end time Mar-15-11 09:02:50 PDT)

For simple archiving a two-head deck is ideal (i.e. 112 model). You just need a good, solid player. If you go used (which I assume you would) make sure the belts are in good shape. This is pretty much it for maintenance besides cleaning the heads and (maybe) demagnetizing them. Here's a 112 but note it does not have balanced in/out.

TASCAM 112 studio audio cassette recorder - eBay (item 230594947717 end time Mar-18-11 10:45:48 PDT)

Also note 2-head decks are less likely to have balanced in/out, but one just recently sold with the module as well as the (wired) remote. I was tempted (the remote works across the cassette decks and many open reel decks as well) but the price went rather high (but fair). These should all have pitch correction as well, which may prove useful with older cassettes or recordings from less accurate machines of days gone by.

One funny thing is that in some cases the DAT decks are LESS than the cassette decks these days...

NOTE: Tascam also made a 4-track cassette deck that accepts 'normal' cassettes; however the tape speed is WAY higher so for playback of stereo cassettes, it is not suitable. (I mention this because many models look the same)

One funny thing is that in some cases the DAT decks are LESS than the cassette decks these days...

that's as good as any indicator that that particular (cassette) technology is dead.

you can see blips of that in the PC component market too, in much shorter time spans.
I'm pretty sure DDR2 is more expensive than DDR3, and the last of the older Intel socket 1156 CPUs will be more expensive than newer 1155 in the coming year.

Last edited:
I never got into DAT but I know of one friend from the past who had a profitable studio that was based on a DAT as his master deck. I was more of a fan of ADAT which used VHS tapes (but never got one of those either)

The quality is fine; however at the end of the day, you are still relying on a degradable magnetic media. Once it's gone, it's gone.

By the way, Betamax was a great format. I learned video production on a Sony open reel black and white deck...:eek:

Get those movies onto DVD!

at its price point I don't think you could find a studio version that could touch it.
It could also could run on ext power a wall wart or batt packs I assume.

8-track 24-bit 96 KHz recording through six balanced inputs (allowing analog input with internal stereo mix or analog input with digital stereo input) or 2-track 24-bit 192 KHz recording

OK I'll say it another way> record the data using a stand alone recorder w/o a spinning disk, then port it over using USB, Firewire, or a flash drive to any old PC's HDD and use it's CD/DVD burner. Therefore you are NOT being constrained by the built-in standards, ie firmware of stand alone recorder/burners. Consider you are now able to use free, or low cost flexible software and hardware for any widely available optical disks or any other archiving methods you choose. Use an Internet connection to upload to one of many free web hosting sites to deliver to clients. you know this stuff I'm sure, so i've probably overlooked one of your requirements? BTW this handles redbook easy.

here is a site for you? http://taperssection.com/index.php?board=11.0

Last edited:
I guess my big hurdle is the quality of the typical A to D converters in most typical 'consumer' recorders. I found one (optical out) for $50.00. What do you think that sounds like?:rolleyes:

Not to say all the 'pro' stuff is god-like either; however I feel that I have a better chance with something that was destined for a recording studio than for a living room.

I'd also like to avoid a lot of 'post processing'. If needed, I can do that of course, but I'd rather just go from (for example) Vinyl to RIAA preamp to burner. Short cable runs and enter the CD text files as I listen.

My friend is a computer 'geek' and made similar suggestions. I realize the apparent benefits and flexibility the computer affords. However I want to fire up a couple boxes and BURN and do post work later if needed (hopefully not).

That Alesis is looking quite good. I have an internal HD as well as a CD burner. It does Redbook as well as CD24 formats. A bit over my budget, but it seems to have all the features I want, and none of the ones I don't. I'm still watching out for a HD (High Def) recorder, but that looks pretty good right now...

As a bonus I could use the Alesis for live recording to CD24 format should I choose to do so. Seems like a good choice more and more...

I guess the other requirement was a comfort level zone IE no PCs.
I really think using CD-R as an archival media is a big mistake. so you'll have to use a PC in the end if you want to do something else about it.

I guess my big hurdle is the quality of the typical A to D converters in most typical 'consumer' recorders. I found one (optical out) for $50.00. What do you think that sounds like?:rolleyes:

My experience is high density DACs sound much superior operating at redbook than pro-grade designed for lower bit rates. I reason this should be applicable to ADCs as well, all else being equal. Most of the decks having XLR would classed as prosumer. The 1st Denon I linked to is labeled as proffesional.

That Alesis is looking quite good. I have an internal HD as well as a CD burner. It does Redbook as well as CD24 formats. A bit over my budget, but it seems to have all the features I want, and none of the ones I don't. I'm still watching out for a HD (High Def) recorder, but that looks pretty good right now...

As a bonus I could use the Alesis for live recording to CD24 format should I choose to do so. Seems like a good choice more and more

Yes that looks like a winner for you. Support looks good. Specs wise it kicks on the Denon.
How does the text labeling thing work?

Yes that looks like a winner for you. Support looks good. Specs wise it kicks on the Denon.
How does the text labeling thing work?

Yes, Denon (as nice as it seems) is not pro quality. Neither audio nor build quality. I would not even consider it. SOME of the pro grade Yamaha stuff is quite good- they actually make quite nice mixing boards as well. But I don't know of a pro burner from Yamaha (mainly effects, synths and mixers)

Tascam (particularly lately) seems to straddle the line. Their stuff is PRO if properly spec'd. It is very well built mechanically, and they sound good. I would say their lower end stuff compares to the high end Denon/Sony ES line pretty well.

CD text is the crap you see on your radio (in newer cars) when a song plays. It shows the artist and song title, and it will scroll across if it is too long to fit on your display. This is encoded onto the CD track. If you burn from analogue, this info is obviously lacking. It can be added (on certain burners) via a typical computer keyboard.

CD text is the crap you see on your radio (in newer cars) when a song plays. It shows the artist and song title, and it will scroll across if it is too long to fit on your display. This is encoded onto the CD track. If you burn from analogue, this info is obviously lacking. It can be added (on certain burners) via a typical computer keyboard.

yes I know what CD text is and how to include it on my redbook burns using software like 'Nero'. I was wondering how it's done on this standalone burner since the feature was on your shopping list. does it include a PS2 plug for a standard keyboard?

Back to the original!!

i get entirely what Grampi's concerns are. I pretty much followed along.
For cd's
One of the old philips recorders is a delight. they will take audio from casettes, cd's vhs, and have a fine level control. SACD's, which I have, are un-dupe-able except thru analog on a machine such as this. I get really nice results, although the timespan=one source length.
get one used. Mine is a CDR760 (single tray) you won't need a dual tray.
As mentioned in this thread, composite video-computer (sound included) is tricky, but not impossible. I had a video card all set up to do this (called VIVO) but then Nvidia dropped all software support.
I have seen numerous device offerings, a few cheap, like $20 range. Peruse NEWEGG, it'll take some time. I dunno what file format (on DVD) you get when you burn: native is VOB.

Note that P. CDR recorders take modified CD burnables, they are called 80 min not x-and-so # of MB's, and are also labeled "audio" J&R music NYC has them. Look for use on "standalone" recorders They're cheap!! You can then insert into PC and rip and write as normal.
In the customer review section of this media there are two posts by me.

Good luck with this.

Last edited:
yes I know what CD text is and how to include it on my redbook burns using software like 'Nero'. I was wondering how it's done on this standalone burner since the feature was on your shopping list. does it include a PS2 plug for a standard keyboard?

I'm not sure yet. I just started looking into the Alesis, so I am not as familiar as I am with the Fostex and Tascam models.

One of the old philips recorders is a delight.

(...)

Good luck with this.

I have one of the Phillips machines, which is why I will not go with a consumer model again. Mine won't record (same as about half of the ones on eBay right now too).

I am disappointed with Phillips, because their pro transports (I have one in my Theta) are really great players. I don't know why this is/was so difficult for them. I suspect they were meeting a price point, so no balanced in/out and a cheap-o burner drive. Mine has one tray, and I agree that is all you need.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.