Need advice on what speaker to build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yes, i'm refering to the spiral corn. the thread has plans for different drivers, same plan really just diffferent sizes. there's something soooo right about this setup. it goes together quickly with the glue gun and you don't have to go 8". i'm just hoping someone does.

If OP really wants to stay with a single FR unit and can raise the budget for the drivers to $110/unit, then he can also consider the FH-XL; very similar layout to that of the FH Mk3, but bigger and will go louder and deeper.

I have to admit I was drooling over the 10s. This is indeed an interesting option. But I couldn't find a link for the FH-XL. Any pointers?

@drmcclainphd: Thanks for this information - it was great to read about this, and I'm just getting started. I have to say I got a crick in my neck from the sideways brochure, though.

Having been to both Old Yankees Stadium and the Radio City Music Hall, I'll definitely try to find out more about the subject.

Also, I really like your approach of experimentation and refinement, and the dissociation of the quality of something from its cost!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Do the Mk3 or the FH-XL need to be placed close to a back wall or corner for good effect? One convenient configuration for my room would be to place them about 5-6 feet away from the back wall.

The back wall/corner finishes the horn so close proximity is optimal (least bass ripple). With less damping you can pull them farther out. Back of speaker to wall of about 3' is about as far as i've tried.

dave

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
A Cornu wall mounted speaker 28 in x 4in deep with a Faital Pro 4FE32 can sound very nice with rich bass. It won't be "HiFi" though.

Are you looking for bookshelf, standmounts, floor standing, or is a wall mounted speaker even an option?

A Bigger is Better (BIB) is easy to build, can fill a room with sound, and be reasonably flat in response. These can be made in just about any size with any driver. Pick a favorite and use the BIB designer spreadsheet.

Finally, I would suggest looking at a mini Karlsonator with dual drivers. A 0.53x scale Karlsonator with parallel wired 8ohm 4FE35's would be very nice with 95 to 97dB sensitivity at 2.83v. They would definitely be able to fill the room.

Mini Karlsonators loaded with CHR70 run with a cheap 12" subwoofer have been strangely satisfying in my similar sized living room and dining room area. I actually prefer them in that space to the Alpair 10.3M in BR for general musical enjoyment, though the latter sounded fine and are technically better. If loaded in something like the suggested FH, I'm sure the 10.3M will sound much bigger subjectively.

Large 3 ways in that space is actually not a bad idea, but a bit much for a beginner project.

@sreten: I can see why the wording of my initial post suggested that I want high
volume, but I'm way past the age for really loud listening! I doubt I'll be turning
the volume knob up past a quarter of its range. The Tarkus does indeed seem to be
a great sound system, and I hope to get there eventually, but I do want to start simple.

Hi,

I can appreciate you wanting to start simple, but like I said
it is a big space. I'm not into loud listening either but I do
tend to think in terms of horses for courses for most people.

With high quality dynamic music program you'd be surprised
how much of your amplifiers capabilties will be used, and the
position of the volume knob doesn't really tell you anything.

(Well it does if you know what it really means, it doesn't
if you have no idea, e.g. plug a CD into an old line input
and marvel at the fact you only need 1/4 volume setting.)

YMMV, my opinion is a single FR simply won't do the job.
It will for some people, but not IMO most. But crucially
most people not knowing any better would live with a
single FR solution, not knowing what they are missing.

Once a FR fan by experience, always a FR fan generally.
(The opposite also applies with a vengeance.)

However just because the idea appeals to you, does not mean
it will be right for you, whatever you would like/wish to be true.

rgds, sreten.

In fact the Tarkus does not go particularly loud in any
real sense *. Sensitivity is very mundane at about 85dB
and power handling is about 100W. What it does do is
play clean at levels that smaller speakers will struggle.
In big spaces at reasonable levels that is important.

Yes it can blow your ears off in smaller rooms by
simply being able to go loud effortlessly, but that
is not the reason I suggested it. I suggested it
because it won't seem to struggle in your space
doing what speakers are supposed to do, and IMO
many smaller speakers and all FR's certainly will.

YMMV may vary about getting there eventually.
You can take the scenic route and its hard to
to say where you will end up. My opiniated
advice is basically take the route 1 approach.

* Except for bass. It does bass way beyond most
smaller speakers and all FR's, seriously better.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.