Need advice on cabinet finishing (lacquer)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's the close up shot:

Attachments

• cd rack top 2.jpg
    cd rack top 2.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 308
The second one looks amazing! What kind of veneer and finish did you use?

jbateman said:
Have you ever tried wiping varnishes? I get pretty good results with Minwax, and there's no equipment costs.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Some rules and an alternative

I've been involved in finishing some high end guitars which come out glorious/perfect.

To start, you need lots of build - 5 coats from a spray can is not even close. The thickness per coat from a urathane gun can be probably 5x what you can get from a spray can because of the %solids. Sand between coats with a block and 600 grit. For a speaker box I would select catalyzed urathane because it has a big damping (its plastic, after all) effect and its very durable and dries fast. This is actually bad for guitars tone (but sometimes it is used anyway). This would be difficult with a spray can.

Finally, the key is buffing. You can't just use a buffing wheel on a grinder - you need a big muther pedistal buffer which will build up some heat. I suppose you could try it with a grinder or drill but I have, and it didn't work well. Now you are close - but its still is not right. Then you take 2000 grit buffing powder and rub with a rag and water. Wash it off and bingo - mirror finish. Not easy but that's how its done. Then wax it. :).

Now, if you are looking for the local experts in urathane spray go to the car painting shop. I have not tried this (I'm dying to ask) but I think a local body painting shop would be happy to take 50 bucks to put a beautiful (and damping) finish on a speaker box. If they can do a car for $300 how bad can a speaker box be?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.