Need a little help with a birthday present

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi folk,

It's my son's 13th birthday coming up in a few months and i'd like to build him a nice set of speakers for his room. He listens to all the usual uk chart music and doesn't have masses of room. I've come up with the following to wall mount either side of his tv for gaming and music which i will drive with a little t amp e.g. boxed sure digital amp or something similar.

I need a little help with this as i'm not spending big bucks and have the drivers already which will be a 4 inch woofer and 3/4 tweeter . (he will be getting other presents trust me :D )

I've come up with the following pics and design but need you guys to check out the details to make sure i'm on the right track. Any advice will be much appreciated.

One of many questions i have is will stuffing the pipe get rid of the combing above 200hz or would i need to tune higher to get the stuffing to work? Also there is a slight kink at 200hz will this be noticable.

These speakers won't play loud but he will be sitting around 2' from them will they be ok?

Attachments

• od group delay.JPG
    od group delay.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 237
  • od response 2.4v.JPG
    od response 2.4v.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 239
  • parameters.JPG
    parameters.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 234
  • schematic.JPG
    schematic.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 233
  • spectrogram.JPG
    spectrogram.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 228
To be honest i'm not sure myself. It started of as a bib type horn but due to size restraints i inverted it and ended up with this sort of design. I know very little about horn alignment but this is a sort of 4/1 thing maybe i'm on the wrong track as it's starting to model a bit like ported box? Some advice would be much appreciated Nelson.

hi folk,

and have the drivers already which will be a 4 inch woofer and 3/4 tweeter .

These speakers won't play loud but he will be sitting around 2' from them will they be ok?

Hi,

Volume levels should be fine. Full range + supertweeter, or say 1st order series
c/o, or something more advanced totally depends on the drivers you have.

For simple c/o's overdriving the tweeters excursion must be avoided.

Getting this right will make by far the most difference.
Line level EQ in the feed to the low power amplifier will help a lot,
e.g. : Baffle Step Compensation

rgds, sreten.

undefinition (see FAQs)
Zaph|Audio
FRD Consortium tools guide

Last edited:
Hi,

Volume levels should be fine. Full range + supertweeter, or say 1st order series
c/o, or something more advanced totally depends on the drivers you have.

For simple c/o's overdriving the tweeters excursion must be avoided.

Getting this right will make by far the most difference.
Line level EQ in the feed to the low power amplifier will help a lot, ...

Good stuff sreten, i have a number of different tweeter options available - a pair of 40mm electrets, linaeum tweeters, wharfedale 1" silk domes and 3/4" apex jr mylar tweeters. The wharfedales would probably be the best match in terms of efficiency and bandwith (fs - 1350hz) so at the power levels these will be used i should be able to cross at approx 2k upwards.

Ill probably build it full range and then measure , tweak and try with different tweeters using a simple 1st order active until i find the best balance then convert to passive 1st order when i'm happy with the measurements and sound. Only then will i decide which of these if any tweeters will be used.

Experience with these drivers has shown me that approx 5khz is when a tweeter may be necessary.

All i have to do now is work out how to fold it.

Hi,

For a constant taper, folding can very straightforward,
its just a box with a single angled divider e.g. :

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The end of the divider is in the middle, the other end determines taper.

Here it is expanding but driver placement and the opening could
be arranged so its a taper. The above is a MJK MLTQWT. Also
note you could mount the driver and/or exit on the front or side.

Wide and not deep for near wall and nearfield listening is good.

rgds, sreten.

Also note for simple tweeter c/o's high well damped Fs's are good, e.g. Apex.
(Because the roll off below a high Fs controls excursion, simple cap + Apex
gives a third order acoustic roll-off unless the cap is a very small value.)

Last edited:
Cheers sreten,

I'll have a play around tonight with sketchup and see what i can come up with.

it would be nice to build something that looks that little bit different. My woodworking skills aren't lacking but my folding leaves a lot to be desired at the moment.

I have some old chipboard laminate shelves lying around which are scrap so i might throw together a prototype and see what i can get.

Ok,

Think i've got something in sketchup, I measure the centre line and its roughly what hornresp give the width is 20cm plus 2x 20mm for sides, the cross section measures out about right, the curve was a bit of a sod but this is what it will be like, colours are just for definition.

Attachments

• birthday.jpg
    birthday.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 69
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.