National LME49810TB/LME49830TB UltraHighFidelity HighPower Amplifier Reference Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
alant4321 said:

Remark:
I am confident that you read my English without problem
because Chinese people in Hong Kong
have no language barrier in English.
In fact, I have lived in North America for some time before. :)

No problems at all. I get 99% of what you are saying.
And you write good posts, alant4321
Many we non-english care more about the words we use,
than the english/americans themselves do.
They think that everyone knows english like they do = the native speaking english.
But this is far from true.

Anybody ready for to post some LME49830 + IRFP240/IRFP9240 schematics?

How can we improve/upgrade the circuits used by NS People in Applications notes?

AndrewT said:

The one parameter that does look similar is Vgs,
and maybe this is what has been tweaked that makes it more suitable for audio.
Vgs of Laterals & j200/201 and Vbe of BJTs are all of a similar level.

This makes me wonder if this lowish Vbe/Vgs
is the important factor in designing a semiconductor for audio use.

This is one factor, why it is perfectly alright
to call 2SK1530/2SJ201 complementarty pair for
Lateral type mosfet
But if you go further in your investigations, AndrewT
you will find that there are more parameters to make them a lot different than HEXFET.
Quite different from IRF240, I would say ;)

To actually be a lateral mosfet
is not same as
be of lateral type.
This is the distinction I am using currently when speaking of these GREAT Devices.

semantics has not much place at our forum
let's keep it that way!!!!
let's keep discussion to the actual data of devices
instead of name-calling of devices

This is my best choice of DIY power amplifier module kit using National Semiconductor LME49830 as below:

1) Class AB driver: LME49830
2) Output stage: Lateral MOSFET Renesas 2SK1058/ 2SJ162
3) Output stage topology: 3 pairs or more MOSFET per channel
4) Output power: 200W/ 8ohm per channel

Looking forwards to seeing its availability in the market coming soon!

Hi,
your 3pair should make an excellent 8ohm amp.
63 to 64Vdc should achieve your 200W target but you'll need an extra 5 to 8Vdc on the lme voltage amp stage, i.e. +-68Vdc to +-72Vdc.

Heatsink could run at upto 55degC for a severe 8ohm speaker allowing all of the FETs to run <=70degC.
Set bias to about 300mA (100mA/device) and choose heatsink to keep quiescent temp below 40degC.

A 4r0 test load will not blow up the amp but it does transgress the Rds limit.

AndrewT said:
Hi,
63 to 64Vdc should achieve your 200W target but you'll need an extra 5 to 8Vdc on the lme voltage amp stage, i.e. +-68Vdc to +-72Vdc.

Heatsink could run at upto 55degC for a severe 8ohm speaker allowing all of the FETs to run <=70degC.
Set bias to about 300mA (100mA/device) and choose heatsink to keep quiescent temp below 40degC.

Thank you Adrew T for your comment.
Where do you locate in Scotland? I have been Inverness in Scotland before.

AndrewT said:
Hi,

One remark:
Rough estaimte that the LME49830 driver and 3 pairs of MOSFET require separated DC power supply:
1) About +/- 60~75Vdc to LME49830 driver
2) About +/- 70~85Vdc to 3 pairs of MOSFET

alant4321 said:
This is my best choice of DIY power amplifier module kit using National Semiconductor LME49830 as below:

1) Class AB driver: LME49830
2) Output stage: Lateral MOSFET Renesas 2SK1058/ 2SJ162
3) Output stage topology: 3 pairs or more MOSFET per channel
4) Output power: 200W/ 8ohm per channel

Looking forwards to seeing its availability in the market coming soon!

alant4321

Try it!
Think you will do Great amplifier :cool:
Post some pictures .. Please!

As for power supply,
AndrewT suggestion of 2 x 60 VDC may be just right.
Because AndrewT, for sure, often has got his Audio Math right.

Lineup
ps. think, from my country sweden,
henrik 'henke' larsson played for rangers
and scored well ,too. ds

lineup said:

alant4321

Try it!
Think you will do Great amplifier :cool:
Post some pictures .. Please!

As for power supply,
AndrewT suggestion of 2 x 60 VDC may be just right.
Because AndrewT, for sure, often has got his Audio Math right.

Lineup
ps. think, from my country sweden,
henrik 'henke' larsson played for rangers
and scored well ,too. ds

Lineup,

Your comment is noted. You are also working your "Great amplifier" as per http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=127161. Please note that the original circuit from National Semiconductor does not include any safety or protection device such as inductor coil for speaker. Share your photo if available.

Remark:
Rangers cannot win Kaunas in UE Champion last night. The score is 0:0 . Henrik Larsson who born at Helsingborg in 1971 is one of the best Sweddish football player. He worked for Celtic, but not Rangers from 1997 to 2004. Then, he returned to Sweddish football team "Helsingborg" in 2006 and now still here in Sweden, except a short loan to Manchester United during 2007.
The Sweddish football player that I like is Zlatan Ibrahimovi whose family was immigrant from Bosnia. He worked for several famous footabll teams including Malmo, Ajax, Juventus and he now works for Internazinale in Italy.

Yes, I hope to make a good design project with LME49830.
Now, is a long way to go.
AndrewT suggest trying IRF240 + IRF9140 (not IRF9240)
When decided for what devices to use, I can move on.

Sorry, i was a bit unsure abouth if Henrik Larsson played for Celtic or Glasgow Rangers.
thanks for correcting me.
He did some great seasons in Celtic .. for sure.
He has always done well in the Swedish Football National Team. (european championships)

lineup said:
Yes, I hope to make a good design project with LME49830.
Now, is a long way to go.
AndrewT suggest trying IRF240 + IRF9140 (not IRF9240)
When decided for what devices to use, I can move on.

Sorry, i was a bit unsure abouth if Henrik Larsson played for Celtic or Glasgow Rangers.
thanks for correcting me.
He did some great seasons in Celtic .. for sure.
He has always done well in the Swedish Football National Team. (european championships)

As per AN-1850, the driver LME49830 can be used with any pair of MOSFET device and output topologies, but providing that not to exceed the maximum ¡§DC bias voltage of 16 V¡¨ for output stage. It is a personal preference to justify which combination performs the best sound for you.

Remark:
Both Henrik Larsson and Zlatan Ibrahimovi are great Swedish football players with excellent performance. Regarding personal conduct, Henrik Larsson is better than Zlatan Ibrahimovi.

lineup said:

Yesterday I has problem to get that website. Timed out ....
Today it works better for me, here in Europe.
They should get some Website ( MIRROR Site ) in Europe/USA,
that would work faster for western customers.

They say now, until 31 october 2008, they have to send by DHL
( Olympic Games Security does not allow electronics by postage )

Very Good Stuff :) My favourite Module is this one.
Based on LME49830 + IRF240 / IRF9240.
I attach an Image of The PCB. See bottom.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

http://www.chip-pcb.cn/en/M-9830-A.htm

Dear lineup,

Tell you the news that the DIY module kit M-9830-A using driver LME49830 and MOSFET IRF240/9240 which you pasted the photo in Post#6 has been completed by CP Design in Beijing, China. It is because they did promotion in a magazine called ¡§Radio magazine¡¨ in China at http://www.radio.com.cn/ (Chinese text only, but you can see this photo here).

Briefly translate for you, CP Design issued an article in ¡§Radio magazine #5¡¨ with topic ¡§Application of ultra high fidelity IC from National Semiconductor¡¨. They prepared 50 sheets of bare PCB of M-9830-A and 100 pcs of chip LME49830 as free gift to reader of ¡§Radio magazine¡¨ in China for promotion, but the promotion has expired on 30-June-2008. It means that they have completed the kit already.

Since AN-1850 has just been released on 1-July-2008, I believe that they shall review it and shortly release the kit M-9830-A into the market, most probably after the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games. It is because there is a lot of restriction in shipment of parcel both local and oversea during this period in China.

First of all, I do not work for or receive any reward from National Semiconductor (NS). It is my personal interest to know the latest technology about various application of newly developed IC from different suppliers, but not limited to NS, but also including Texas Instrument (TI), Analog Device (AD), etc...

Here is my understanding of newly developed ultra high fidelity IC for audio application from National Semiconductor:

(A) Pre-amplifier application

The following OPAMP chips are exactly the same, but difference in single, dual and quad version:
=> LME49710 (Single)
=> LM4562 (Dual)
=> LME49720 (Dual)
=> LME49730 (Quad)

What is the difference between LM4562 and LME49720? NS USA replied that there was no difference between LM4562 and LME49720 in which they were exactly the same chip in dual OPAMP version. NS further explained that LM4562 was released about 4-5 months prior to the whole family. Since some customers still place sales order into LM4562, rather than LME49720, thus NS still keep this number.

=> LME49600
It is an IC chip for high current audio buffer mainly for low power amplifier such as pre-amplifier or power supply regulator, etc...
It is optional to use for pre-amplifier. It depends on whether headphone function is required or not in your amplifier. If headphone function is required, then LME49600 is used after LME49710/LM4562/LME49720/LME49730 for buffer stage. Otherwise, you may exclude it because pre-amplifier which uses and not uses output buffer may exist two different sounds. You may make a research to justify which sounds you like.

(B) Power amplifier application

=> LME49810
=> LME49830
=> LME49811

All are mono design which acts as Class AB driver to power amplifier. They have different auxiliary options, but in general and simply speaking:
=> LME49810 is primarily designed for output stage using BJT
=> LME49830 is primarily designed for output stage using MOSFET
=> LME49811 is a ¡§simplified¡¨ version that primarily designed for output stage using BJT

They are new chips which claimed to be ultra high fidelity IC, but most of people have not heard their sound in amplifier application, including me. As a practical guy of me, it is just a paper work statement. About half years later, more people may share their practical experience. I am also looking forwards to seeing it for proof.

Does ultra high fidelity and extreme low noise amplifier mean ¡§good sound¡¨? I believe that there is no absolutely answer for ¡§Yes¡¨ or ¡§No¡¨. The answer is subjective and relatively to audience preference because some people like sound with certain distortion, like tube amplifier.

B. regards,
alant

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.