Nakamichi PA-5 upgrades

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi NareshBrd,
You need a lowish impedance between the two grounds. All you want to do is send the circulating ground currents to a different path. A diode is a high impedance when it isn't conducting (not what you want).

A tuned L-C network can have very high impedance at other frequencies and would very likely cause trouble. Don't get fancy, what they did works very well for them and many other brands.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi NareshBrd,
That's true. However since the idea has been posted, both you and other readers do deserve an answer. Of course this is my opinion and I would encourage people to research what I have said in case they don't understand the reasons behind my response.

-Chris

Nah, just an idle thought, to keep their minds busy....

Some people want to reduce their power bills by improving their amps.
That idea was so mind bending, they worried about a dollar or so in a month.
Other examples abound, as an administrator here, you will have seen more than your fair share, and in your servicing set up as well.

And of course, the 'special' cable threads!

So it was just a stone thrown into the hornet's nest, wait and see...

And if you have the time, read my post, #120 in this thread, I do have some idea of the basic grounding theory. It may not meet college standards, but you get the idea.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi NareshBrd,
Yes, I did read your post earlier, and just now as well.

Remember, I post as a regular member unless I state clearly I am acting as a moderator. My experience comes from over 45 years as a professional technician, and I am still practicing. I see more equipment damaged due to people trying ill conceived ideas from various internet sites. It is such a shame, especially when a "technician" or "audio expert" performs this work without what I can see as any serious training. Just about any idea can fly and be repeated if someone finds it on the internet.

I would like people to keep suggestions to factual and reasonable guidelines. People can make mistakes, errors. But repeating nonsense that was only read about is pretty irresponsible (speaking to your point on the other threads). There isn't much worse than having a person new to electronics make an error that destroys a working piece of equipment. I have seen a lot of that over the years. Sadly, when you are new to, or not fully trained in electronics, things look pretty simple. Everyone is an expert and everyone has an ego to protect. For me everything is pretty factual and I only care about right and wrong.

-Chris

That is part of the reason I do my own work, and not for others.
I can do things at my pace, use what I think is best, pause and think why that design was used, and so on.

I have seen machines deliberately damaged by disgruntled people, and so many cars...
It gets to be very mentally tiring, why on Earth...?
Then I say it is not my equipment, their problem.

Let this matter rest here, it is not relevant to this thread.

The posters are also quiet, let us wait for them to report their progress.