Nak PA7 clone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well put Chicco.

Asked NP about his feelings on this here where he also provided a link to his site with an improved front end. He also had good recommendations in general for the power supply.

I'm also experimenting with posting a link .... :idea: I guess things work pretty much as you would expect (I hope!)

-Chris

Anatech,

I read Nelson's post in the link. I also like your idea of a low power Stasis amp design as you mentioned... A Mini Stasis!! One interesting thing is that if you compare the topology of the Stasis 1 with the NAK they are almost identical except for the use of the FETS. So it doesn't surprise me that Nelson would reccomend a later design Threshold front end for it. I would look forword to building a low power version of it to compare with the Mini-Aleph. ...say not more than 20 watts into 8 ohms..... Other wise I would probably just go ahead and clone the S-300 since it was a favorite amp that I once owned.

Mark

Mark A. Gulbrandsen said:
Is there a diagram of the SA-4 around somewhere?

Nelson Pass was so kind to place the tiff schematics on his personal file at PassLabs, bottom of the list.

Lumanauw, the storage room :

Attachments

• barn.jpg
    barn.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 796
Picture of an April 1989 test of the SA/4.
(sorry about my scribbling, i'm a nut)

6 times 31.000uF/75V CG capacitors.
2 700VA toroids
TO3 cans : 28 MJ15022/MJ15023 per channel

At the time i could not afford the SA/4, so i bought a Forte Audio.
A giant step from the S300 SeriesII
I don't think the Nak PA-7 was a bad amplifier, but at $3000 overhere in 1986 it had to much competition from far cheaper brands.
Same with the Nak CA-7 preamp, nice but at nearly 5 big bills nearly a quarter more than Thresholds Fet Nine that outperformed the CA-7 both on CD as Phono entrance.

Attachments

• threshold sa4e.jpg
    threshold sa4e.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 866
Your S300 clone would be even more chunky as it already was too, Mark.

No doubt about that one!!! I like to double everything on a project like that.

Mr Pass should be at the verge of the PLH, maybe he fancies a shot at a Passamichi-7 ?

Hummmmm, has a nice ring to it. We could even have a group buy on Gold Plated Passamichi name plates.....

Mini Passamichi....... With really tiny name plates!

Mark

Hi pinkmouse,

you have a lot of fun with your Krell clone, so it's easy for you to go another step forward! :)

I'm swamp with a metalwork on my ksa-50. But, if there are couple more interested, we my start with Brystons...:devilr:

It will be great help if somone can send a picture of the pcb, i know that with better PCB layout Stuart Taylor managed to grately reduce distortion and noise on ST series. Driver and output transistors are easy to obtain, so... what we are waiting for?!? :D

chicco

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I know I an reviving an old thread here - but I have a quick question -

I know Sir Nelson Pass is somewhat synonymous with Class A amps, but was the PA-7 Class A or all Class AB? Can the Nak hold its own against a Pass Aleph or other more newer amp?

I am debating a purchase of a PA-7 or finishing the Pinkmouse Krell Clone KSA-50 for my Magnepan MGIIIa and was kind of hell bent on a class A amp purchase/build.

I have always known the Nak to be an awesome amp, as is the Krell Clone and I currently drive the Maggies with a UCD400AD (that I like very much), but always wanted the Nak and a nice Class A amp too...

No wonder why this hobby drives my wife nuts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.